• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Spring Is Finally Here

Joecole

Very Obsessed
With the warm weather forecast for the next few days now is the time to get stuck in with the gardening. Rake up any debris from the winter leaves twigs etc and get them into the compost bin. as regards the veg plot give it a good weeding then for stuff like radish swede turnip you don't need to deep dig, just break up the surface ad rake to a fine tilth and get the seed in. I usual run my petrol tiller over the patch. If you have a greenhouse get it fumigated then start planting up your Beans in individual pots preferably biodegradable ones

SLUG PROOF LETTUCES
handy tip
. as it says, if you have a garden wall or a wooden fence its easy to do, you require a length of plastic guttering
2 gutter end caps and 2 wall brackets a drill and a quarter in wood bit. In the bottom of the gutter drill a series of drainage holes, fit the end caps and secure to the wall using the bracket. fill the gutter with compost and water well. Draw out a drill quarter of an inch deep and sow the lettuce seed. You can also use the same system for things lie radish or spring onions

Well if it ever stops raining and if the water ever drains away I might be able to get out to do something, cold wet and grey for days on end :(

Well if it ever stops raining and if the water ever drains away I might be able to get out to do something, cold wet and grey for days on end :(
It's a bit overcast down here Al but no rain for a change

You're lucky mate, we have floods up here, mind you, it won't be long until drought season ;)

I have a few bits and pieces started but the veg garden is still waterlogged, or so I've been told, I haven't visited it in weeks.:(

Luckily I don't grow spuds but I really need to get the Parsnips in. Pneumonia took hold after a cold and I'm well and truly buggered at the moment. One of the younger lads in the group went and had a look and tidied up after the last storm but I want to get up there for myself.

Luckily I don't grow spuds but I really need to get the Parsnips in. Pneumonia took hold after a cold and I'm well and truly buggered at the moment. One of the younger lads in the group went and had a look and tidied up after the last storm but I want to get up there for myself.
That's not good mate, take it easy until the sun starts to shine. If you overdo things you'll be back to square one

I'm weak as a kitten and not a nice person to be around ATM. The quartermaster gives me the stink eye if I so much as put a hand on the back door knob, I haven't been out in weeks! If I wasn't so ill I'd have cabin fever, but frankly I can't be bothered.
I'm allowed to potter at the kitchen table with some pots, compost and a few packets of seeds. I feel like a 2 year old.:mad::rofl:

I'm weak as a kitten and not a nice person to be around ATM. The quartermaster gives me the stink eye if I so much as put a hand on the back door knob, I haven't been out in weeks! If I wasn't so ill I'd have cabin fever, but frankly I can't be bothered.
I'm allowed to potter at the kitchen table with some pots, compost and a few packets of seeds. I feel like a 2 year old.:mad::rofl:
I know the feeling, when I had my knee replacement it was like being in prison

We're a few weeks behind you, Joe. I won't be sowing my beans or squash til the beginning of May. The early Peas are a bust I normally get cloches out the end of Feb to sow the second week in March. I'll have to sow extra maincrop if I can squeeze them in. Anyone got a garden sized shoehorn?:rofl:

We're a few weeks behind you, Joe. I won't be sowing my beans or squash til the beginning of May. The early Peas are a bust I normally get cloches out the end of Feb to sow the second week in March. I'll have to sow extra maincrop if I can squeeze them in. Anyone got a garden sized shoehorn?:rofl:
Well mate if you grow root crops mix raddish seed in with the root crop seed it save on thinning and gives you a second crop in one row. If you grow cabbages when you harvest then cut about an inch above the ground then cut a cross in the top of the stalk then you'll get 4 baby cabbages on the stalk. instead of growing a row of runner beans just plant half a row, when the're halfway up the poles plant up the other half so you get an extended cropping period

I hate Radish with a passion.;) and I'm not that keen on cabbage either:D but you can do the same with Pak Choi and get a second cut and come again crop.
If you mix Spring Onion seed with Carrot seed it confuses the Carrot fly and then as you harvest the spring onions you thin out the carrots and the scent is hidden by the onions.

I hate Radish with a passion.;) and I'm not that keen on cabbage either:D but you can do the same with Pak Choi and get a second cut and come again crop.
If you mix Spring Onion seed with Carrot seed it confuses the Carrot fly and then as you harvest the spring onions you thin out the carrots and the scent is hidden by the onions.
Trust me to pick on two veg you like the least Mike, planting marigolds alongside your carrots has the same effect

It's always the way. Although I do like Cabbage once it's Sauerkraut. We make our own.:)
I grow Marigolds all through the garden. They are particularly good to grow with tomatoes as they keep off whitefly and they look nice. I also grow Sweet peas in with the beans to encourage the Bees

It's always the way. Although I do like Cabbage once it's Sauerkraut. We make our own.:)
I grow Marigolds all through the garden. They are particularly good to grow with tomatoes as they keep off whitefly and they look nice. I also grow Sweet peas in with the beans to encourage the Bees
Never tried the sweet peas with the beans but will definitely do it this year

Back