• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Wales Spring meet 2023 - Chatter and banter and pictures .

Is that Amazon product similar to the orange nylon surveyors line?
I'm not sure Mike, I'm not sure what surveyors line is like. Bank line is ideal for net making but the Amazon line I suggested is a lot cheaper. Bank line is available from various sources including Heinnie Haynes. It needs to be about 1 - 2 mm thick and, counter-intuatively, twisted is better than braided.

Ok I’ve been looking into the stuff and it seems pretty infinite in its variations but is nothing like surveyors line. I’ll try and get some beforehand.

For those of you who want to learn netmaking at the May meet you might want to do a bit of winter wood-carving now and save time later. You will need to whittle yourself a netting needle (see attached picture). There are many possible designs, but either of the two on the left of the picture will be fine for what we need.
Net needles.jpg

What size mesh stick do you recommend Paul?
Entirely depends on the size of mesh you will need, but the net gauge must be wider than the needle. If you want to make a net basket, or a purse net for rabbits, then about 4 - 5 cm would probably be about right, if you are going to make a fishing net you may want to go a lot bigger.

@Ystranc It doesn't look like anybody is going to put their names down for the bowmaking. Have you still got those bowstaves? If so, and if I can get them into my car, can I steal a couple?

@Ystranc It doesn't look like anybody is going to put their names down for the bowmaking. Have you still got those bowstaves? If so, and if I can get them into my car, can I steal a couple?

Would make my day if I could Paul, however making plans is rather hard at the mo but if I do make it you will have my attention 👍🏻

I mentioned a swaps table in the other thread, I have a rubberised Swiss Army pack and some Sheffield made British Army pocket knives along with a few other bits and bobs that I’m up for swapping. The pack is a little heavy by modern standards but very bushcrafty.

@Ystranc Is there a butcher in the town? & anywhere to buy organic veg?

@Matt Do you want cash at the time for the logs and fees for the week or will I bank transfer? Our preference is cash for everything these days, but we can do either.

There is a butcher and a veg shop in town but a decent choice of organic veg might be a bit of a stretch. It’s a small town. Maybe some of it will be organic but I’m not so sure.

There is a butcher and a veg shop in town but a decent choice of organic veg might be a bit of a stretch. It’s a small town. Maybe some of it will be organic but I’m not so sure.
Isn't there a Tesco superstore in Llandidrod Wells Mike? I rather think they'd have organic veggies.

Back