• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Springer ?

RWS Excalibre

Quite Addicted
During the first bout of covid, wanted and bought a springer A.A. TX-200, just liked the look of them, £600+ mistake didn`t like it, couldn`t get on with it all, the weight, faffing about of an underlever compared to a PCP, now looking for a break barrel springer, too much choice, I maybe reading too much into it.
Came across AAR review BSA lightnings. either steel spring or gas ram, mid-price range £290 to £330 dependent on system reasonable, looks a lot of gun for the money.
The only other springer apart from the AA was a BSA Meteor 177 in 1970ish :poo:, 2003ish got my PCP Excalibur, a whole new shooting world opened up, still have / use my SG`s & Rims but that`s a different side of country pursuits, bit :sad: really should have gotten into this sooner.
Opinion and thoughts would be appreciated on the lightning action, calibre for general-purpose and for fun, don`t want to be buying a load of old Meteor :poo:!

I am a definite BSA fan but I found the spring Lightning to be very lively and difficult to shoot accurately. After trying a lot of fixes including a PTFE sleeve I sold the Lightning and ended up with a Theoben which is a gas ram rifle. Less recoil than a standard spring gun. I haven't tried the gas ram version of the Lightning but if it follows the same feel as the Theoben it should be ok.

I find that extra weight of an underlever helps keep it steady. Not handled a Lightning for many years but the breaker that's on my list is the hw98.

Hw98 is break barrel and weighs 3.7kg. Hw97 is a lovely underlever rifle but very heavy at 4kg. BSA Lightning gas ram is 3kg. Hw 35 they say is 3.8kg.

I find that extra weight of an underlever helps keep it steady. Not handled a Lightning for many years but the breaker that's on my list is the hw98.

Had one a few years back Manny....sold it on.....bad mistake....still regret it :(
Another one is on the cards for next year.
Probably go through Andy at Sandwell Field Sports......does a good tune apparently

Forgot to mention that the AA TX200 is listed at 4.1kg.

That the weight of the AA without scope, probably why couldn’t get on with it?
Unfortunately for me Spur of moment thing went to an RFD this afternoon in GtYarmouth, loads of air weapons, looked at the BSA lightning in both spring & GR, calibre, not convinced with It, lot of selections of HW’s, must have been a day when they left the village idiot in charge as he really didn’t have a clue about anything, wasn’t interested, the only question he asked was what calibre, do you like the look of anything, you need a scope & pellets? After mouthing about, thanked him for his time and left, conclusion 🤔 he’s a F##k Wit!
Gonna travel further a field👍

@RWS Excalibre

If you are looking for something a little bit special and tuned/blueprinted......may be worth a look here.....there may be a rifle that tickles your fancy :)

If the rifle you are after is not on the pages....might be worth a call to them and discuss your options......if you want to go down this road :thumbsup:

Back