• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Starting out!

Followthesun

Slightly Talkative
Evening folks,

First post!

I live in Scotland (central belt) and like many of us, covid-19 has given us a chance to reflect and find new focuses in life.

I for one have invested heavily in wild camping gear (a seperate post to document my gear will come next) but I also want to invest some time in a relaxing hobby (I'm a pretty active cyclist/runner/gym addict) so I want to get into fishing.

For £40, i bought a BEACH sea fishing rod and reel, along with a small daiwa spinning rod which I hope to take on camping trips with me, plus a box of tackle including a priest, some floats, assortment of hooks and lures/spinners.

Question is, what kind of fishing is best?

I live on the banks of the river forth and figured I'd like sea fishing but have been told it can get quite messy etc. However, I like the idea of fishing from a beach, pier or a boat. I'm guessing if I went wild camping then a small spinning rod with lures would be ideal?

Hi there followthesun, nice of you to join the forum😁 and welcome. If you could pop over to the welcome section and introduce yourself it will allow all the members to welcome you aboard 👍🏻

a small spinning rod is a great way to start fishing, suited to sea and freshwater,

what kind of fishing is the best? You ask , well!! This conversation could go on for a long time, lots off opinions with that question 😂 for me it’s carp and fly fishing. But I do dabble in all kinds.

The spinning rod, half a dozen silver feathers and a small breakaway weight (just heavy enough to let you cast over a decent distance) are a fun way to fish when the whitebait bring the mackerel into shore.
Fair to say that there are far fewer than when I first fished this way off Penmon point on Angelsey ove 40 years ago but it's still a fun way to get a meal.

Last edited:
Sea...... or freshwater fishing?.........its ALL good :thumbsup:

As Mike..... @Ystranc....... says.......its not like it was 40 years ago :(

Back