• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Sterno Stoves.

Brambling

Very Addicted
I am a massive fan of Sterno Stoves. I got my first folding stove a few years ago in the USA and my son got me the Inferno stove for my Birthday last year.
These stoves run on Gel fuel and in different ways are great.

The Sterno folder is compact and cooks at a sensible heat I use it for frying and the such. Because of it's design, I also use a Trangia burner and I can even put a tin in there to contain an open fire.

20190625_104309.jpg

20190625_104317.jpg

The sterno Inferno is a take on the Jetboil type stove. It is also powered by gel fuel. It consists of the stove body with pull out stabilising feet, a snuffer and the pot with heat exchanger. The whole thing packs inside the pot and there is room for two tins of fuel.
I did a test this morning and it can boil a large cup of very cold water in five minutes, not sure how that compares with a gas cooker. By using the snuffer, you can adjust the heat output.
I cooked a stew on it as well. This is a new type of cooker for me and it works very well.
I'm a big fan of gel fuel and was really happy to see Sterno had developed this stove.
You can't buy these over here, however, Amazon.com sell them and you can have them delivered to the UK.

20190625_103834.jpg

20190625_103658.jpg

20190625_102905.jpg

20190625_103533.jpg

They cook slow but are dependable. If you get the steel version you can use it as a twig burner. You can use the gel fuel in other stoves and its great value for money

Look forward to seeing it in action at some point.

I'll bring them with me when we finally get to meet up again. The folding Sterno is the one I thought I'd lost. It's much better build quality and more versatile than the hexi cookers.

Reactions: Bam
I am a massive fan of Sterno Stoves. I got my first folding stove a few years ago in the USA and my son got me the Inferno stove for my Birthday last year.
These stoves run on Gel fuel and in different ways are great.

The Sterno folder is compact and cooks at a sensible heat I use it for frying and the such. Because of it's design, I also use a Trangia burner and I can even put a tin in there to contain an open fire.

View attachment 17973

View attachment 17974

View attachment 17975

The sterno Inferno is a take on the Jetboil type stove. It is also powered by gel fuel. It consists of the stove body with pull out stabilising feet, a snuffer and the pot with heat exchanger. The whole thing packs inside the pot and there is room for two tins of fuel.
I did a test this morning and it can boil a large cup of very cold water in five minutes, not sure how that compares with a gas cooker. By using the snuffer, you can adjust the heat output.
I cooked a stew on it as well. This is a new type of cooker for me and it works very well.
I'm a big fan of gel fuel and was really happy to see Sterno had developed this stove.
You can't buy these over here, however, Amazon.com sell them and you can have them delivered to the UK.

View attachment 17976

View attachment 17977

View attachment 17978

View attachment 17979
I've had an un used tin of gel for about 3 years and never used it.i wonder if it would work in my lixada wood gasifire

I'm not sure what canisters I have as I got them given, tried 1 the other week and wasnt impressed with either the heat output or total burn time, I'm assuming there are many different make and I've got the poor ones lol.

I've had an un used tin of gel for about 3 years and never used it.i wonder if it would work in my lixada wood gasifire

Yes it would, Joe. If the can doesn't fit in the stove, simply decant some onto a piece of tinfoil

Some chafing fuel gels have different burn times. I've recently changed over to buying Firedragon fuel by the litre and it's much better.
I took two cans filled with Firedragon fuel with me when I went to Bank House Farm, cooked all my food and brewed many teas and they were both still about half full when I came home.

Hi Annie.

Like the look of the Sterno 70138.......good sized feet/base on it too...bonus.
It does not appear that it would stow away within itself which is a pity "Trangia style"........if only they had made the boiling vessel bit bigger to enable that đź‘Ť

Nice stove though :)

Last edited:
Back