• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Still learning..

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
I'm reading a book written by a Cambridge academic who writes of his wanderings in the wilder places of the UK. Usually he is alone on his travels, but occasionally he is in company with a Naturalist who is a friend, and by coincidence, a founding member of Green Peace.

The author attempted to telephone his friend on a number of occasions without success until finally he made contact..

" Squirrels !!! Squirrels had been the problem he said. His phone line had first gone crackly then dead, so he called in the Engineers who found that Squirrels had ben nibbling the 'phone line. The Squirrels are highly intelligent and agile enough to 'Tight Rope' walk the 'phone wires. They are also poor conductors of electricity and had learned that by biting through the insulation to the bare wire and short circuiting the 50 volts that run in the wires into their own bodies, they could warm themselves up in the bitterly cold weather which was then prevalent in East Anglia" šŸ˜²

Obviously the story is slightly dated by the overhead 'phone wires rather than the fibre optic lines now laid, but there are many places (including here) where overhead wires still connect rural properties.
I have never heard of this explanation before. I know they do damage to wires, like the Rodents they are, but using 'phone wires as electric blankets gets them first prize for craftiness in my book. :D

i tried that once by grabbing a power cord i'd just run over with a snow-blower. i woke up in a nearby snow bank some moments later. can't say that i recall the experience being particularly warming. :D

It is true about the squirrels chewing wires but they also do it in Spring/Summer (little bastards!) so maybe the warmth thing is more of a hypothesis than a working theory

Had the pleasure of watching many a Squirrel getting a shock.......not via cables and wires though. šŸ¤­

Back