• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Stoat or Pine Marten?

Yes, it could be a Mink. We have Mink farms over here and sometimes animals escape. Groups like PETA have raided farms as well, setting the animals free. A total environmental disaster, because Mink has no natural enemies over here.

They are devastating little creatures.......take fish...chickens......rabbits.....ducks....etc
Little killing machines and very stealthy.

They are devastating little creatures.......take fish...chickens......rabbits.....ducks....etc
Little killing machines and very stealthy.
yes but also beautiful to see in the wild. a mink farm about 8 miles south of me was raided and as a result I lost all my rare breeds bantams

You have to be pretty lucky to see one in the wild Joe....I have only ever seen one on my permissions while out with the rifle......no time to get a shot off......far to quick:confused:

You have to be pretty lucky to see one in the wild Joe....I have only ever seen one on my permissions while out with the rifle......no time to get a shot off......far to quick:confused:
We used to see quite a lot round Bedale Beck up in North Yorkshire Bill

The only mink I've seen in real life was after my sister's bantams, scared several to death (literally) as it couldn't get at them due to my father wiring them inside a steel cage. However the next day Connie, my father's sheepdog cross spotted it, took off like a rocket and shook it like a rat. One ex mink! If it is of any interest it was a male which, apparently, explore for new territories.

On the N11, Glen of the Downs, Co. Wicklow, Ireland.

A would definitely say mink a could be wrong but am sure there's not much of a pine Martin population in Ireland (if any) somthing I seen on the telly or am mis-remembering lol

A Stout???? or a stout Stoat??? well it wasn't one of those either............

Is anyone familiar with terrapins? Some irriot has released one that has survived allegedly for several years in the Stour near Sudbury in Suffolk. I have taken some pictures having caught it sunbathing today on my return from a days canoeing.
Head to tail it was about a foot long, but does the European Striped Pond Terrapin have a marked red flash above the eye?

As ever can email pictures but not upload here................

A Stout???? or a stout Stoat??? well it wasn't one of those either............

Is anyone familiar with terrapins? Some irriot has released one that has survived allegedly for several years in the Stour near Sudbury in Suffolk. I have taken some pictures having caught it sunbathing today on my return from a days canoeing.
Head to tail it was about a foot long, but does the European Striped Pond Terrapin have a marked red flash above the eye?

As ever can email pictures but not upload here................

Got it!.....A Red Eared Slider (originally from USA).....and my apologies, should have been in another thread....

Back