• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

stoeger selection

Medwayman

Quite Addicted
will have a look at what these do to some tin cans (and a new mount )

Attachments

• P1250120.JPG
    P1250120.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 126
  • P1250121.JPG
    P1250121.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 142
  • P1250122.JPG
    P1250122.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 123
After a bit of thinking, is there a particular item that I should be testing those on, what would be best??

Well the X hollow X hunt and X magnum are field points and are excellent for bunny bashing and small game. The others are mainly target.
You may find that you need to adjust your sight for range each time you switch pellets as different weights and coefficients will perform differently.
The mount looks nice and solid, what brand is it?

Well the X hollow X hunt and X magnum are field points and are excellent for bunny bashing and small game. The others are mainly target.
You may find that you need to adjust your sight for range each time you switch pellets as different weights and coefficients will perform differently.
The mount looks nice and solid, what brand is it?

same as the rifle Stoeger, took some advice and went with one piece

Well since Stoeger is made by Beretta and the mount is purpose made it should be perfect for the rifle. My mounts are separate and are branded Sports Match but since my rifle (the only one I have at the moment) is a .22lr the scope mounts need the gap for the cartridge ejector. I like to use subsonic hollow point bullets for hunting so I would be very interested to find out how you go on with the hollow point pellets.

I would also try air arms field pellets. There a medium weight (8.4 grains) made by jsb for air arms. They are probably a bit more expensive but are very well made and a good all rounder suitably for target and hunting.

Not wanting to pee on your bonfire Med.
But those pellets look like :poo:
Quality and consistency of the pellets can only enhance your shooting experience and accuracy.
It is woth investing in some proven and we'll made pellets.
The likes of .......Air Arms.....Rsw Super domes. .....H&N Field Target Trophy......and JSBS.

You will get better results for the time and effort you are putting in.

Just a thought for you.

I quite liked the RSW field and Weihrauch F&T, both are very well finished and always clean strait out of the tin. Using the same macro photography would really show up the differences in quality, as it does between some of the Stoeger compared pellets to the others.

Am surprised, I did a bit of research reading other reviews with regards pellets and the Rifle itself and mostly were 4 starts plus (yes you get a few bad ones) I do hope my rifle was not a bad choice, it is hitting targets at 100 ft and I think it does have enough kick to take small game.

Suggestions for pellets at that range please for small game will get some and have a close look.

I’ve read that at sub 12ft/lb hollow point pellets are a bit of a novelty as the energy transfer of cause any significant deforming of the pellet.

At close range flat wadcutters do a lot of damage; at longer ranges a domed Diablo such as RWS super domes and the more expensive field target trophy pellets work better.

Realistically the limiting factor with an air rifle is how far away the user can hit the target rather than the pellet.

The rule of thumb when hunting with an air rifle is what ever range you can group your shots under a 2p is the range at which you should take your shots if you can't get a group like this at 25 yds then you should move your target back to 20yds and try again. this will show how consistent the combination and the person pulling the trigger are. you should then keep on practicing until you can achieve this goal. this is another good reason to stick to one type of pellet. my recommendation would be a good quality round head as mentioned in previous threads

All the testing and trials....and yes expense........using quality pellets are so worth the effort and time @Medwayman
You may be on the ball as far as your marksmanship principles and rifle set up goes.........but unless you find the right pellet you will be fighting a losing battle.

The end result will be frustration and loss of confidence in your own ability and that of your rifle......which are both probably fine.

You are asking for recommendations for pellets.... and a few have been put forward......bite the bullet (Pun Intended) and get some on order to try.
The ones that do not perform as well can be used up for a bit of fun plinking anyway :thumbsup:

AIR RIFLE PELLET TEST TRIAL SAMPLE PACK .177 JSB Air Arms H&N RWS Webley 12 X 25 | eBay

When on the range use a new target card for each type of pellet......shoot groups of either 3 or 5 shots......then write on the card what pellet you used and keep them togther......do the same with the rest of the targets you shoot..........you have then recorded your results and can relate to the information on them.
Make note also of the head sizes on the cards.........if they differ.

25yds would be a good distance to start off at..........then extend your distance to say 35yds for the last 5 of each pellet type/make and compare again.

Do not pace out the distances.....Measure them properly!! as you may want to add a range finder to your kit later on?

Choose a good day.... the less wind the better.........be comfortable/ organized...........take your time and rest between shooting.
There is no rush........ you need to pace yourself and not try to get all the pellets down the range in the same day.

Look forward to seeing some good results and hearing from a contented and happy shooter.......have fun!!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back