• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Stoeger X20 Camo Version

Sheddemon

Extremely Talkative
I have just been down to the gun shop with my dad and i asked the man what gun would be better than i want at the moment.

Before i went to the gun shop i had my mind decided on a SMK XS19-18 Springer in .177

After my visit to the gun shop i now have my mind set on a Stoeger X20 Camo Spinger in.177 and the man there told me that this gun would be better as it is a off business from Beretta and because of that it made the gun look and feel overally better. Also the man said that SMK's have a habit of breaking but not often just every now and then but he said that this would hardly ever break.

So i am just updating everyone on my position at the moment.

Here's the link - http://usa.stoegerairguns.com/products/stoeger-x20-airgun.php

Last edited:
That gun is almost exactly the same as the XS19, probably even made in the same factory. It may be marketed by Beretta but it is made in China and is also a copy of the Gamo 440, all that is different is the placing of the safety catch.

The Stoeger is still a good rifle for the money though, but as with the XS19, to get the best from it you will need to do some work to it, although it is usable straight from the box.
If you like the feel of it and you reckon it suits you, then go for it mate;)

Hi Shed,

I just got a Stoeger X20 Suppressor for my 12 year old son when we go hunting. The first one fired all over the place, the second seems really good value to me. So I would recommend the Stoeger X20 (the supressor is a .22, but I'm guessing the .177 X20 is equally as good). But then again I've only really tried 2 air guns.

One other thing. I went to my recommended local gunsmiths. When I went back, there were no questionas asked when I explained that it wasn't firing consistently. Its always worth finding a good, recommened dealer rather than going with cheap but not really into to the sport types. If something does crop up, the extra £5-10 is so worth having helpful, knowledgable staff.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I have been to my local gun shop and have got my eye on a gun at the moment.

Is the gun ok for your son to hold? Not to heavy?

No, the weight is fine for him [he is a big 12 year old mind - I'm 6'2" and he's going to be at least as tall as me without the width I hope]

Little idea, try looking for a Hatsan 55 or 60, these are seriously good rifles. I will explain why.

Webley were bought by a company who decided to save money by having the guns made abroad. The R&D team worked with a Turkish company called Hatsan. They developed a gun called the Stingray Mark 2.

Hatsan decided to sell the gun under their own name as well, with a slightly different stock and a much better safety switch. Same barrel, same trigger, same recoil absorbing system, but it is the same damned gun (I know I owned a 60S and a Stingray Mark 2 .177, when I realised I could have shot myself)!

The point is the Hatsan is available from around £100, the Webley is around £200. Same gun, half the money!

Seems to be lots of advice here for both the Demon and Monster Sheds to consider. So far, buying new seems to be towards the SMK XS19, Stoeger X20 and Hatsan 55/60, with weight being an important factor

SMK 6.25lbs ~£120 [+£40 for scope]
Stoeger 7 lbs ~£170 [Includes 3-9X40 AO scope & silencer]
Hatsan 7.5 lbs ~£120 [+£40 for scope]

All of them will be about 1lb heavier with a scope on. As I've said, my 12 year old can cope with the Stoeger with its scope - but does shoot from prone/resting rather than standing/kneeling [there always something around to rest on - even if its only me:rolleyes: - when we're shooting]

The cost is going to be roughly the same once you factor in a scope for the SMK and Hatsan. You could go with a cheaper scope - but I wouldn't recommend it. And I'm sure that there are other guns that could be added to the list. But guess what - its pretty much down to what feels and looks best to you :).

One final thing - the Stoeger isn't the easiest to zero the sight in because the silencer makes is hard to put a laser dot thingy in to allow initial bore sighting [at least that's what my local gun-smith told me when I asked them to quickly mount it for me]. Its still not hard, but don't try zeroing it at 20 yards until you've got it zeroed at 5.

Mike

Back