• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

STOP SMOKING 2019

Joecole

Very Obsessed
Several of us have decided to attempt to kick the weed habit this year and so on behalf of another member of the forum I've decided to start a stop smoking post
There are several reasons to stop and for me its because of a serious health issue
If you have already kicked the habit, are trying to stop or are considering stopping I would like you to share your thoughts and feelings here. The good times and the bad
The whole idea is to help each other through the good times and the bad and for those of us who have smoked for years there will be bad.
My biggest mentor has been Bill (one shot willie) who convinced me to try a vape. On the advice from my GP and my local vape shop I've not gone cold turkey but have
gradually cut down from 20 a day to now less than 5. instead of automatically reaching for a fag I just have a few puffs on the vape, I discovered that I didn't always want
a cigarette, it was just a habit.

A good thread Joe and don't attempt to kick the habit...KICK it. I have a couple of chums in their 50's and their lungs are flucked through smoking, my friend (the stove guy I want to join here) was a heavy smoker plus there was illness and now his camping days are over :( Also think of the cash you will save :) A couple my wife and I knew well were spending over £500 a month and this was about five years ago. They had good jobs but had not been on holiday in years. She had a health scare...enough to stop them smoking but that said they now go on holiday:)

That's a great way of approaching it Joe. The force of habit is strong but if you can put yourself out of your usual routine it can also help break the urge to have a smoke. That's one of the tactics I used when I gave up..it isn't easy but you can do it.
After all the challenges that you have faced and overcome during your career this one is just a little thing

A good thread Joe and don't attempt to kick the habit...KICK it. I have a couple of chums in their 50's and their lungs are flucked through smoking, my friend (the stove guy I want to join here) was a heavy smoker plus there was illness and now his camping days are over :( Also think of the cash you will save :) A couple my wife and I knew well were spending over £500 a month and this was about five years ago. They had good jobs but had not been on holiday in years. She had a health scare...enough to stop them smoking but that said they now go on holiday:)
Thanks Harry:)

That's a great way of approaching it Joe. The force of habit is strong but if you can put yourself out of your usual routine it can also help break the urge to have a smoke. That's one of the tactics I used when I gave up..it isn't easy but you can do it.
After all the challenges that you have faced and overcome during your career this one is just a little thing
Thanks Harry:)
Hi Ystranc, yep just one more challenge but one f the more important ones

Want to give up smoking, have tried several times but never actually got there. Started at a ridiculous age. Having anxiety caused by another health issue doesn't help, when anxious having a cigarette sometimes "helps". @Joecole Will have to try a vape see if that helps. Do you use a juice with or without nicotine?
Best of luck to those trying to quit, you can do it!

Want to give up smoking, have tried several times but never actually got there. Started at a ridiculous age. Having anxiety caused by another health issue doesn't help, when anxious having a cigarette sometimes "helps". @Joecole Will have to try a vape see if that helps. Do you use a juice with or without nicotine?
Best of luck to those trying to quit, you can do it!
I was doing 20 a day for 60 years Woody and yes its is difficult which is why this thread was started so that we can bounce off each other in a time of need. My vape mix is low nicotine but it definitely helps

I’m 21 & a half hours in cold turkey..... an yes, I’m crawling up the walls! 😀
you are going to be David, first thing tomorrow get yourself sme fruit lolipops or anything else to take your mind off of smoking

Great thread joe 👍

I shall be joining in when I have lost a little weight.....am not doing both at the same time :eek:

Keep up the fight for those who are stoping 👍👍
Morning Mark, when you DO stop youll start tasting your food again

If you have a problem with smoke, you should use only dry standing wood for your fires. Even that should be dried out next to the fire before burning it.

At home it is helpfull to clean the chimney from time to time.

Great thread joe 👍

I shall be joining in when I have lost a little weight.....am not doing both at the same time :eek:

Keep up the fight for those who are stoping 👍👍
There is no point in doing something like this because you've been told to by someone else, it must be your choice and you will know when the time is right. It's your choice.
There is no point in giving up unless you absolutely decide to do it, otherwise you'll always be creeping off down to the shed for a quiet smoke (or a secret pasty) It's all about mind set. You must be focused.
Once you have your self in the right frame of mind there isn't much you can't achieve, whether it's packing in smoking or getting rid of the extra poundage. Once you have decided to do it just do it because that is what you have chosen to do.

There is no point in doing something like this because you've been told to by someone else, it must be your choice and you will know when the time is right. It's your choice.
There is no point in giving up unless you absolutely decide to do it, otherwise you'll always be creeping off down to the shed for a quiet smoke (or a secret pasty) It's all about mind set. You must be focused.
Once you have your self in the right frame of mind there isn't much you can't achieve, whether it's packing in smoking or getting rid of the extra poundage. Once you have decided to do it just do it because that is what you have chosen to do.
I like your way of thinking

@Ystranc
Sound words mate 👍 And your bang on the money with “mind set” I’m a big believer in a strong mind. My choices have been made buddy. Lose the weight and get healthy through weight training and cardio. Then quit the smoking totally! Am not replacing it with anything. Cold turkey lol

If you have a problem with smoke, you should use only dry standing wood for your fires. Even that should be dried out next to the fire before burning it.

At home it is helpfull to clean the chimney from time to time.
Erbwurst your English is very good but they're discussing smoking cigarettes ;)

@Ystranc
Sound words mate 👍 And your bang on the money with “mind set” I’m a big believer in a strong mind. My choices have been made buddy. Lose the weight and get healthy through weight training and cardio. Then quit the smoking totally! Am not replacing it with anything. Cold turkey lol
...and soon you'll be running around your beautiful mountains like a mountain goat. No coughing, sweating and wheezing for you...been there, done that and it feels good.

Back