• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

STOP SMOKING 2019

I quit 10 years ago and the main things I have noticed since I quit are.
Sense of smell and taste improved
The 'smokers cough' has gone
I'm better off financially
General health is better

Advice I would give? Don't bother 'trying' to quit. You really have to want to do it, if you don't you're not ready and you are bound to fail. However, don't feel bad about that, it's worth waiting until the time is right as your success rate will increase exponentially and your chances of becoming a non smoker are much better.
Keep one item of clothing you've worn as a smoker (unwashed) in a plastic bag and when you get the urge for a cigarette, pull it out and take a sniff. I guarantee you will wonder why in hell you went around stinking like that for all those years. It was pretty much this alone that gave me the incentive to not have a cigarette through the first few months. Even now, every now and then as I walk past a smoker in the street I crinkle my nose at the stench wafting off them.
Don't be afraid to use nicotine replacement therapy. I used lozenges for the first 8 weeks or so and they really did help with the cravings.

The very best of luck to all of you struggling with this particular problem. It's a tough habit to kick.

20 years since I gave up, these days I can tell when there is a smoker travelling in the car in front of me. I'm not bothered by the smell, the urge to have a smoke is long gone.

Joe, once you're down to five cigarettes a day you have already broken any physical dependency, the last five are a purely psychological dependencey. If you start getting jittery or irritable and want a cigarette just take a mindfull moment before lighting it to look at how far you've come and you may come to the conclusion that NOT lighting that next cigarette is the final act of stopping. You've already done the most difficult part.
"Do or do not, there is no try"

I've just looked up the price of a packet of fags on the Tesco site :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Prices between brands vary but lets say £10 a pack

50p per fag

£70 a WEEK

£303 PER MONTH

£3640 PER YEAR.

Joe, print that off, put it in a frame and hang it on a wall in plain site of visitors and family, look on it as a board of guilt and look at it whenever you get the urge to smoke. I'll bet your misses would be over the moon if you said "there you go babe, three and a half grand...enjoy yourself"

Even five a day is £1800 a year, so you ain't doing yourself any favours by thinking you've done well cutting down, you've done well when you quit...then you can give yourself a pat on the back.

Capture.PNG

Back