• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Storage heater bricks

peter bermingham

Quite Talkative
Would storage heater bricks be any good for a gas forge after finding about 150 of them. My idea is build a steel box 12"x12"x20" line with rock wool insulation them with the fire bricks would end up with a forge 9"x9"x18" and have an insulated door that slides up and use a propane torch and a thermostat they use on kilns to regulate the temp. Dose that make sinc

They might work, I'd be a bit wary if they've got damp though. What you really need is a few fire bricks but they can be pricey.

Maybe do a google search on the subject, I bet someone's tried it before.

Thanks from what i am gathering form google is for a forge their thermal mass is big which would mean they take a good while to heat up but once their up to temp good for forging large stock. A might make a small one sure i got them for nothing

Old storage heater bricks are best avoided as they’re often exposed to asbestos fibres. Asbestosis is unpredictable, some people work with the stuff for years and are unaffected while others develop it after one unwitting exposure.
Fire bricks are different, better suited to building a forge, much lighter and pretty cheap to buy, it’s not worth risking your health.

Storage heater bricks are not for the kind of temperatures you get in a forge, use kiln lining fire clay or proper fire brick Where did we dig this up from? 2015 :p

Last edited:
It was being viewed by a guest/search engine, I merely added a comment as a safety advisory because old storage heaters contain asbestos (a point that had not been addressed) Again, if this is an issue please PM me. If no one adds additional comments it will quickly drop back down into obscurity….complain or add comments and it stays at the top of the pile.

Last edited:
Back