• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Storing meat post shtf

Simplestuff

Very Talkative
Something I’ve been struggling with is how to keep meat without fridges/freezers. Obviously there’s keeping it as cold and dry as possible to stop bacteria growth which is what makes it go off so quickly. I’ve read a few things like keeping it in a water right bag under water or hanging it in a shady dark cold area. And then there’s smoking and salting it but post shtf are you going to have time to smoke meat when it needs a constant heat for 24-48 hours? And once you’ve run out of stored salt I think you’ll struggle to produce enough to do more than season your food?

Is there something I’m missing or is it a case of consuming what you can as quickly as you can?

It’s a bit of both. Salting and brining. Drying and eat it quickly. This is where eating birds and rabbits,squirrels and fish are top of the list. You eat them in one go.

In the old days a pig could be slaughtered in early Winter, and the meat kept hanging in a cold shed until March. Now, Winter ain’t that cold.

I know I rely on my freezers far too much, but I don't like the thought of preserving meat any other way. Guess I would just live off chicken if necessary. A small group could deal with one of my lambs, but pigs and cattle have a lot of meat.

This is where an alternative protein source kicks in.Beans.Grow plenty in the Summer to supplement meat shortage in Winter.

This is where an alternative protein source kicks in.Beans.Grow plenty in the Summer to supplement meat shortage in Winter.
I can’t see meat being a problem in winter, especially if you breed animals. The meat would be easier to keep on a larger animal. But I do agree that alternative protein sources are important

Something I’ve been struggling with is how to keep meat without fridges/freezers. Obviously there’s keeping it as cold and dry as possible to stop bacteria growth which is what makes it go off so quickly. I’ve read a few things like keeping it in a water right bag under water or hanging it in a shady dark cold area. And then there’s smoking and salting it but post shtf are you going to have time to smoke meat when it needs a constant heat for 24-48 hours? And once you’ve run out of stored salt I think you’ll struggle to produce enough to do more than season your food?

Is there something I’m missing or is it a case of consuming what you can as quickly as you can?

The best method in my opinion is drying, it will keep for ages. Don't mess about with marinades, just dry it as is. Cut off all the fat first. The other method that works well is to use the meat to make Pemmican. This will last for years.

Keith.

The best method in my opinion is drying, it will keep for ages. Don't mess about with marinades, just dry it as is. Cut off all the fat first. The other method that works well is to use the meat to make Pemmican. This will last for years.

Keith.
Thanks Keith!

in the old days meat was hung in a meat safe, it had a zinc mesh so flies couldn't get at the meat.
I have a small one in my stores which I purchased for £8.
I remember those. There is also the coolgardie safe. Much the same as the meat safe, but the sides are hessian, usually from feed sacks, these overlap into a tray of water at the top so the water slowly wets all the hessian sides & keeps everything inside cool. But only cool, food item will not last for ever in a coolgardie safe, no more than in a meat safe. I made one of these years ago when we had no electricity for 20 years or so.
You could easily convert an ordinary meat safe into a coolgardie safe to keep food cooler.
coolgardie safe.jpg

Keith.

There were also ice houses where they stored ice in winter, & spring houses. A spring house was a small building built over a spring or below a spring & the water ran through this building. The flowing water kept the cool house cool & food in containers were stacked on either side of where the stream ran through.
There is also a cool safe that is made of wood. Basically it is a wooden box with holes at either end. Food in jars & bottles are placed inside & the lid put on. Then this box is placed in a flowing stream so the water passes through the box.
If you want to cool bottled drinks, you can just tie cordage round the bottle & lower it into cold flowing water. I have done this out bush with beer & wine & it works well.
Keith.
spring house 1.jpg
SpringhouseInside1.JPG
http://www.maguirefarm.com/s/springhouse.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an ' emergency' fridge.After a 1 week powercut 30 years ago ( water too) ,I got a galvanised dustbin,painted it on the outside with bitumen and sank it in the ground.Put the lid on,And cover it with a thin layer of soil,you have yourself a makeshift fridge.It is in the shade all day and holds a steady 9°c.Given that EU regulations expect 8°c,that's not bad.I use it as a root cellar,but when we have a barbecue I put beer in there..bitter,not that boys beer,lager!

I have an ' emergency' fridge.After a 1 week powercut 30 years ago ( water too) ,I got a galvanised dustbin,painted it on the outside with bitumen and sank it in the ground.Put the lid on,And cover it with a thin layer of soil,you have yourself a makeshift fridge.It is in the shade all day and holds a steady 9°c.Given that EU regulations expect 8°c,that's not bad.I use it as a root cellar,but when we have a barbecue I put beer in there..bitter,not that boys beer,lager!
Good idea! Well done!
Keith.

Back