• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

STOVES

lol

Extremely Addicted
As posted on another thread, I'd be keen to hear opinions about the Honey stove and some of the cheaper alternatives (twig burner types) on the internet?
Any thoughts or experiences?

Last edited:
I've got a couple of cheap gas stoves, one a small 'hill walking' one that folds down small and one with a larger frame for camping. They're interchangeable of course and each was about 7 quid (guess, I've had them a few years now). Both have been great, no issues and I think the wee built in igniter still works on one of them. I doubt my models are made these days, they seem to keep changing the names (and who they're copying them from). If its cheap, give it a whirl.

Reactions: lol
The Honey Stove is about £39.....not cheap...….but is it good?o_O

Yowzers, for me that's serious money, I think the most expensive system I've bought was the Trangia and mine is over 30 years old now so I've had my money's worth. Let us know how you go with it, I'm not against spending money, I'm just a pauper. :crying:

Yowzers, for me that's serious money, I think the most expensive system I've bought was the Trangia and mine is over 30 years old now so I've had my money's worth. Let us know how you go with it, I'm not against spending money, I'm just a pauper. :crying:

Me too........I haven't said I'm going to buy one yet!! I've seen a Titanium version for sale on Amazon at over £70:eek::oopsy:💩

I’ve got a smaller version, about 3” cubed; I like it but am not sure if it’s actually any good. If you can find dry wood then it works well but needs constant feeding.

It does work very well as a wind shield for a small meths burner or solid fuel tablet.

I’ve got a smaller version, about 3” cubed; I like it but am not sure if it’s actually any good. If you can find dry wood then it works well but needs constant feeding.

It does work very well as a wind shield for a small meths burner or solid fuel tablet.

Ah, thank you, most helpful👍
Have you seen the video by "Simon, a bloke etc..." on stoves?
I normally use, and love, a Swedish Army Trangia, but am intrigued...……...

Ah, thank you, most helpful👍
Have you seen the video by "Simon, a bloke etc..." on stoves?
I normally use, and love, a Swedish Army Trangia, but am intrigued...……...

Also, "SabitW" has done a comparison twixt the Honey Stove and the Firebox stove, the latter particularly impressive...….but I've come to the conclusion that they are too expensive for what they are, having spoken to one or two; the latter is over £50.......my trangia was? £13.... includes as you all know, pots, pans, lid, spork and heaven knows what else. And works so well :)

Reactions: Bam
Also, "SabitW" has done a comparison twixt the Honey Stove and the Firebox stove, the latter particularly impressive...….but I've come to the conclusion that they are too expensive for what they are, having spoken to one or two; the latter is over £50.......my trangia was? £13.... includes as you all know, pots, pans, lid, spork and heaven knows what else. And works so well :)

Trangia was my first 'stove love', I had camping gaz and hexy before it but still have a soft spot for the Trangia system although I go for the minimal meths set up at the moment and haven't used the full gear for about 5 years at least.

I use and love my wild woods woodgas stove

They work very well with cat litter.

Otherwise as stated, wood has to be dry and a lot of feeding, which to be fair, isn't a chore if you're set up.

This thread shows me using it in a couple of ways :)

I’m a convert to the firebox stove , I’m so far impressed.......

Cheers, seen a few vids and it does look good. I'll give them a watch later.

Thinking back to his wife’s comment about having too many stoves my wife makes similar complaints; off the top of my head I own:

Mini firebox
Trangia copy
Mini meths pop stove
Coleman 822 multi fuel
Optimus hunter multi fuel
Coleman sports gas burner
Titanium micro gas burner
2x horizontal cylinder suitcase stoves
2x ghilli kettles
About 20 hexi stoves in three different styles!

There are probably others hiding in my garage I’ve forgoton about.

There are "Kit Tarts", and then there are professionals…………..🆒

A good friend of mine collects stoves, he has dozens of them, I'm a beginner and only have about twenty five, mostly liquid fuel; gas is overall an expensive way to make a brew or cook a meal IMHO.

Twenty five:eek::oopsy:🤣……...qualifies as dozens!!! (and, as above, a professional!!)

I've got 1/2 doz of so, gathered over the years, but only really use two, maybe 3......all of which are meths. I don't like gas either, really...……….

I was gifted a lot of stoves by afore mentioned friend. I'll ask him again to come here and sign up.

Back