• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

STOVES

That gas conversion at £14 is very good. I got the trangia version but sure it cost over £30.
I bought a cheap one a while back but my Trangia is that old I need to put a hole in it to run the cable through. Something else on my 'to do' list.

I bought a cheap one a while back but my Trangia is that old I need to put a hole in it to run the cable through. Something else on my 'to do' list.
Yes same here. Had to drill and file a hole. Works well and you have a choice of fuel.

Reactions: Bam
Drill? Rest the base on the ground, dig a bit of soil under the base to allow the gas tube come out

Drill? Rest the base on the ground, dig a bit of soil under the base to allow the gas tube come out
Fits much better through correct size hole in the side. The supply tube would need to bend further down to go under the housing which would bring the gas canister closer to the stove.

Reactions: Bam
Fits much better through correct size hole in the side. The supply tube would need to bend further down to go under the housing which would bring the gas canister closer to the stove.

Certainly my cheap one from the Far East has a fairly short hose to start with, maybe the pricier ones have a little more length (ooh err).

Its a quick but the canister getting closer to the stove won't be an issue, The Trangia heat shield don't radiate enough heat from the sides. I'll give it a go this week.

Aaaaaagh, right, thanks.....gas, no.:thumbsdown:.....back to the biscuit tin wood gas stove.....

Just got this folding Coleman gas burner with gas (half full) from a mate for £5. Might bring to the kit sale at Summer camp.
IMG_20190324_125956.jpg

Look forward to seeing your creation mate 👍.........pictures must include a burn :whistle:🤣

...Well, version one is made, which works well enough but very sooty suggesting inefficient combustion, so version two under construction (have run out of dremmel type cutting discs!)

right......instead of using a can, I found in a cheapy household shop (that sells everything you don't want or need?) a cutlery drainer for the kitchen, for £1.99...bought 2 for a trial? AS you can see to many holes? but a sect. was removed and sanded for a wood feed....
I'm now going to split the second and fold inside under tension, leaving holes at the bottom and at the top to hopefully burn the wood gas better.
It was used inverted, and the removed panel, I thought make be used (as photo) as a bit of a windbreak....no good really...…

All still cheaper than buying a big tin of fruit or whatever, and not a patch on the Swedish Army Trangia, BUT...it worked well enough in Mk 1 form...and was a bit of fun for a first attempt at making anything?

Attachments

• stove 1.jpg
    stove 1.jpg
    478.3 KB · Views: 101
  • stove 2.jpg
    stove 2.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 96
  • stove 3.jpg
    stove 3.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 90
  • stove 4.jpg
    stove 4.jpg