• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Stoves

Stick with the Trangia bottle, never had on leak yet and I use them not just for meths but also paraffin and Coleman fuel. Be careful with bottles like the Yellowstove/MSR bottle, meths may mess up the stopper seal which may cause a leak or 'lock' the stopper in place.

Stick with meths to get you up and running and I'll chat about using Ethanol/Methanol at a future time :)

Stick with the Trangia bottle, never had on leak yet and I use them not just for meths but also paraffin and Coleman fuel. Be careful with bottles like the Yellowstove/MSR bottle, meths may mess up the stopper seal which may cause a leak or 'lock' the stopper in place.

Stick with meths to get you up and running and I'll chat about using Ethanol/Methanol at a future time :)
agreed Harry

Since the Trangia was designed for methylated spirit I would stick to using just that. The trick that Harry's you tube video posting showed us where the tiny cap full of water added to the meths in your burner will help keep the outside of your pans in good order, I'm not sure if it works with bio ethanol.

Trangia do make a separate burner for use with fuel gel; it does resemble an empty shoe polish tin so would seem pretty easy to improvise.

As a smaller/lighter meths bottle I’ve used a nail varnish remover bottle which also has a positive closure lid.

Never dilute meths/ethanol as all it does is slow down cooking times...just clean your pans at home. I don't bother so long as the inside of the pan, remember black absorbs heat :)

Meths is 90% or more Ethanol with stuff added to stop you drinking it. Saying that I was reading about crimes/death in Antarctic bases, lots of Russians get crap faced and fight and one doctor got the taste for Methanol which...killed him!

I've used nalgene bottles for meths too. I like to keep one separate from my trangia bottle just in case it leaks. I'm the first to admit that's a bit nuts.

To be honest I think it is sometimes the luck of the draw with camping gear in general. You could buy a cheap one & it could be great & you could spend a bit more & it might not be so good
I've used nalgene bottles for meths too. I like to keep one separate from my trangia bottle just in case it leaks. I'm the first to admit that's a bit nuts.

That's not nuts

That's a get you out of jail card my friend ! :thumbsup:

Trangia do make a separate burner for use with fuel gel; it does resemble an empty shoe polish tin so would seem pretty easy to improvise.

As a smaller/lighter meths bottle I’ve used a nail varnish remover bottle which also has a positive closure lid.

Screw top air rifle pellet tins???

You must be on information overload Amanda LOL, just get the stove and some meths and practise at home what you will cook at camp plus learn to use the simmer ring which not only stops some food burning but gives a much improved burn time.

05:10 in the morning and I've been talking to a yank on ham radio and now talking about Trangia sturmkochers...I need hot chocolate, a few hobnobs and some kip...nighty night...A good glug of rum in the hot chocolate for medicinal purposes of course too.

You must be on information overload Amanda LOL, just get the stove and some meths and practise at home what you will cook at camp plus learn to use the simmer ring which not only stops some food burning but gives a much improved burn time.

05:10 in the morning and I've been talking to a yank on ham radio and now talking about Trangia sturmkochers...I need hot chocolate, a few hobnobs and some kip...nighty night...A good glug of rum in the hot chocolate for medicinal purposes of course too.

Lol. It’s fine. Lots of information is good. I think I’m pretty much sorted now with regards to gear :)

Got the following:

Tent
Air mattress
Tarpaulin
Aluminium ground sheet for insulation
Stove (pans and meths)
Sleeping bag
Lighter
Torch
2 knives and knife sharpener
Plates and cutlery set
Stake for Luna
Daysack
First aid kit
Power bank charger
Flint fire striker

Think that’s about it. Anything else you think I should add then let me know :)

Just a suggestion..........and something worth checking Amanda......... are the tent pegs and guy line adjusters that come with your tent. :thumbsup:
A lot of tents these days are let down by thin wire pegs that are next to useless and will bend for pass time and not offer a secure hold in the ground.
Better to find out and remedy now........rather than your first pitch on site ;):thumbsup:

A pillow might be handy or even just spare clothes in a bag if that's how you're used to kipping and maybe a lamp as well as the torch(es) (I'm a torch junky too).

What are sitting and cooking on Amanda, there's no need to be on the ground, you can get cheap camping chairs and tables from Go Outdoors and the like.

A pillow might be handy or even just spare clothes in a bag if that's how you're used to kipping and maybe a lamp as well as the torch(es) (I'm a torch junky too).

What are sitting and cooking on Amanda, there's no need to be on the ground, you can get cheap camping chairs and tables from Go Outdoors and the like.

Thanks :) gonna get a couple of chairs from B&M as they are only £6 each. Will just cook on the ground. Also I forgot to add that I have 2 lanterns and yeah, will be taking my pillow :)

Last edited:
Back