• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Suggestions for alternatives to Ruger 10/22

Humpers

Slightly Talkative
What other .22 rifles would you suggest I look at for shooting rabbits at 30 - 70 yards? I like the idea of a Ruger 10/22, mainly because it's a semi-auto but also from what I've read/heard it seems like a good, reliable no nonsense rifle which won't break the bank.

My budget is about £400 - 500 including a reasonable scope, so is that a feasible budget if I buy secondhand? Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers,

Humpers

You should get a fairly reasonable set-up for that money. Have you considered a bolt action? You'd probably get much better accuracy as the 10/22s are renowned for being ammo fussy.
A good trusty old BRNO or maybe even a CZ (although I'm not a fan of their triggers) might be what you are after and you could stretch your kill range with that.

You should get a fairly reasonable set-up for that money. Have you considered a bolt action? You'd probably get much better accuracy as the 10/22s are renowned for being ammo fussy.
A good trusty old BRNO or maybe even a CZ (although I'm not a fan of their triggers) might be what you are after and you could stretch your kill range with that.

^^^^
Absolutely agree with Ian.
If you do insist on a semi auto though, the Rugers can be made reliable but at a cost. So many parts have to be upgraded that the price soars.
Finding a good example S/H isn't easy. Have a look here. Then you need to find someone willing to sell second hand.
Beware of unreliable cast offs!
Good luck!

Thanks guys, these are really helpful comments. I'm more familiar with decent makes of air-rifle than .22 rimfire so your experience on different makes is brilliant.

I've heard that another benefit of a bolt action is that you don't get the clickety-clack from the semi-auto as it loads the next round, which from the little shooting I've done with a 10/22 seems to scare the other bunnies more than the (moderated) report of the rifle or the thud as your bullet hits their neighbour.

If your budget allows then an Anschutz bolt action would be nice. I've had a go on these in .22 and .17 and both were superb rifles, if a little pricey:eek:

sorry but i forgot where i was..... i forgot it was in firearms...... is an AK47 allowed?? :D

ak47 is fine weapon except it jams all the time scares the shit out of you lol cos its been there since the vietnam war lol

If u want to make the 1022 quiter as it reloads, replace the pin behind the bolt with a synthetic 1. I did this to mine and it significantly reduced the noise of it. Pretty cheap to do. I got 2 of them for £5 on eBay.
Personally I'd go for a cz/Brno. I had 1 and changed for a target tactical 1022. Big mistake, not a bad rifle but the bolt action was far better!

Back