• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

South West Summer meet 2017 (pictures and write ups )

a few more pics
And a PS I forgot to mention the bannock I made on the last day, and Emily's dumplings which went very well with the stew!

Attachments

• DSC_0169.JPG
    DSC_0169.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC_0170.JPG
    DSC_0170.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC_0171.JPG
    DSC_0171.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 177
  • DSC_0172.JPG
    DSC_0172.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC_0174.JPG
    DSC_0174.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC_0175.JPG
    DSC_0175.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC_0177.JPG
    DSC_0177.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 194
  • DSC_0179.JPG
    DSC_0179.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 220
  • DSC_0182.JPG
    DSC_0182.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 180
I have followed this meet for months as i have said before, i was a long time lurker picking up everyones knowledge and things. :ninja:

The pics are brilliant and i liked seeing how professional it was if thats a term i may use and certainly not wishing to insult.

If i was asked....who/what is (enter name) best/favourite subject i reckon i would win the comp haha.

Great forum :thumbsup:

I have followed this meet for months as i have said before, i was a long time lurker picking up everyones knowledge and things. :ninja:

The pics are brilliant and i liked seeing how professional it was if thats a term i may use and certainly not wishing to insult.

If i was asked....who/what is (enter name) best/favourite subject i reckon i would win the comp haha.

Great forum :thumbsup:

thanks @GlenV good to know its interesting for other people :thumbsup: incidentally a few of us are heading your way in FEB 2018 maybe we could meet up and you can yap to us personally:cool:

I’ve enjoyed reading everyone elses write ups and so here is mine (delayed due to video editing)

Sunday

Drove 3½ hours from my parents place near Leatherhead to The Tunnel in Charmouth to give Daniel (and me) a shooting experience which we both loved.

20170806-IMG_1900.jpg
20170806-IMG_1917.jpg
20170806-IMG_1932.jpg

Got to the Weary Friar around 16:30 and then were met by Matt, Gav and John in the field to ferry our mass of kit up to the site. We’ll try to reduce it for next year even if it means just excluding the tent and cot beds (so 30kg reduction at least)

We got to site and were introduced to our other campmates who were all very friendly and welcoming.

We picked a place and put up the tent and a tarp to keep us dry from the odd shower.

In the evening we sat around the fire and very much enjoyed Joe's curry. I think Daniel and I both had seconds. Thanks Joe.

Later a few of us shared a nip or two of rum.

Monday/Tuesday (I’m a wee bit vague on what happened on what day lol)

I had set up another tarp on Monday and so set up the 3 hammocks under this. We slept very well in these for the rest of the meet.

By this point we had run out of water and John agreed to take us down to replenish from the river. We filled up with water and John took these back to camp while we went on a supply run to the town.

We stopped off on the way back for a sample of the local brews in the Weary Friar and afterwards were collected by Matt.

The evening was spent with the usual banter around the fire and a few more rums J

Wednesday

This was the day of the HFT competition and Dick had very kindly loaned us the use of an air rifle (thanks again Dick)

This was Daniel and Mel’s first time shooting with an air-rifle (springer)

20170809-IMG_2147.jpg

Mel:

Daniel:

We all enjoyed the course and the 10% addition to the final score put me in first place just pipping John by 0.8
Daniel was only 1 point behind me and so he won in the junior section and secured himself a new ferro-rod and knife. He is very pleased with it too as I am with the cup.

Special thanks to Dick for both the loan of the guns and for setting up the plinking range and the HFT course. Great fun!

We did a bit of carving (including my German grenade/neep masher) and Mel and I made a communal dinner of neeps, tatties, black pudding and Lorne (square/rectangular) sausage. It should have been haggis which I had promised I’d bring however we ran out of space in our cool box so it was left in my parent’s fridge. I’ll make sure to be better organised next time!

In the evening John brought out his musket and most of us had a go at loading and firing. So loud!

Joe firing the musket
20170809-Joe Musket.jpg

Video of Daniel firing the musket:

Thursday

We did the HFT range again and Daniel continued his secret agent antics with Matt, Gav and Neil.
I told him he’s setting himself up for next time. LOL

Later at night we took a few chairs out to the field and Dick joined us to try to spot some of the Perseid meteors. Caught a couple and saw a few satellites. Unfortunately not the huge numbers of meteors which had been predicted.

Friday

We packed up and helped take down the HFT range, said our goodbyes and then Matt and John trucked all our kit down to our car again.

On the way home we stopped past Port Issac (where Doc Martin was filmed) and then headed up to an overnight at Wigan. Launceston to Wigan took 9½ hours due to the M5 & M6 roadworks then another 4 hours to home on the Saturday. A heck of a journey.

Thanks to all who planned and put in the work to make this event the success that it was! We shall return!

More pics to follow

Nice write up and pics/videos gizz.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

If you could pm me the name of the place you went for the shooting that would be draw:thumbsup:

thanks @GlenV good to know its interesting for other people :thumbsup: incidentally a few of us are heading your way in FEB 2018 maybe we could meet up and you can yap to us personally:cool:

Easier than typing for me :rofl: yet you may prefer it via the forum. Aviemore area ?

GlenV

Back