• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

South West Summer meet 2019 pictures and chat

@Matt @WildWood1965 @divebuddy @G1ZmO @David Day etc etc.

Never seen the likes of this after a forum meet......no write ups and its like you have all disappeared off of the face of the earth with little to no posting on the forum since your return :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::eek:

Come on chaps get a grip.....start hammering the keys tell us all about it......pretty please:thumbsup::D

I guess what happens on tour stays on tour..... Must be some guilty consciences I guess mate. ;)

Have a safe journey home....... Paul,Mel and Daniel :thumbsup:..........look forward to seeing the pictures/videos and reading the write up:thumbsup:
Sounds like you have had an awesome break :)

I say if you want to know what goes on you need to turn up!........I will have a look later and see if I can cobble something together to keep the old guys happy🙄

Cancel my last.....this "old guy" has just lost interest.

Please don't feel that you HAVE to cobble something together.....would not want to put you to too much trouble:sneaky::D

********The last write up from this forum meet venue *******

Myself and Neil got to the site around lunch time on saturday 👍

we both used the access track with out any issues ... we set to setting our new tents up and getting our kit squared away (this trip was used as a shake down of new kit for both me and Neil as we plan on using the same kit when we hit the Galloway forest in feb next year :)

as expected we both got our kit sorted rather quick so we moved on to getting the toilet tent set up and the genny sited .... after much ball ache with trying to start the brand new genny i decided to take the air filter of and have a look what was going on :confused::confused:... then it all became clear the markings on the genny for the choke were back to front so when i was putting "full choke" to start it i was actually turning full choke off .... after getting my head around the back to front markings it started first pull.....

next to arrive was @David Day with his crate of home brew cider (which was very nice i may add) he got set up with is lavue (spelt wrong )

Ryan and his clan drove up to base camp and set to getting set up

Emily and her brother and the boys turned up and got squared away in their normal spot

Dick turned up and got his own set up squared away and set to on the HFT course 👍

then @G1ZmO and family arrived and wandered off into the woodland to get set up ...

we had a good few nights sat around the main fire having a natter and putting the world to rites ... ..

Emily made a great apple crumble and we all dug in :)

myself and Neil were experimenting with the use of the ridge monkey cook system (i,ll leave him to tell you all about it )

all in all we had a great week in the woodland had some good laughs around the fire and had a great day on the HFT course (will let @divebuddy post the results )

would like to say a few thanks to everyone who turned up and made the last meet at the venue one to remember :thumbsup:

would like to say a few special thanks to @divebuddy for doing an awesome job on the HFT course and would like to thank @WildWood1965 for his help with running the site .....

on to pastures new now guys :thumbsup: hope to see you all again at the new venue

Not too much to add to the write-up from @Matt really other than the following:

It was nice to catch up with Emily & her crew (Lovely crumble as per usual Mrs) as well as Ryan's clan & the @G1ZmO highlanders.

Great to see @divebuddy & also to finally meet the lavvu dwelling @David Day who seemed to enjoy his 1st meet. :thumbsup:

As @Matt said the Ridgemonkey toaster excelled once again especially on the mini-pizza front !

Big thanks to Dick for his sterling work on the HFT course & well done to the winners who were never going to be troubled by my efforts ! :D

As usual it was all over too soon despite the fact that I was really trying to chill-out more on this one having realised that on previous camps I seemed to be almost always doing something instead of taking it easy.

In fact @Matt & I mulled this over one evening & came to the conclusion that I would need at least a month to properly relax but we all know that ain't going to happen.

Here's to the next one ! :)

OK here's my write up. There are MANY more photos and videos which I will share soon.

Sunday:
Arrived later than planned (19:00) due to a 2 hour hold up caused by rotten chicken carcasses on the M5. Phooooeeee!
Matt met us in the lower field and ferried us up to camp.
We said our hellos to those that had arrived then set to work setting up our camp.
20190729-IMG_4402.jpg
20190731-IMG_4554.jpg

20190730-IMG_4488.jpg

20190801-IMG_4673.jpg

We were still doing this in the dark and eventually met everyone round the communal fire where we sat until the wee hours drinking rum and David's lovely cider.
Around the fire were Matt, Neil, Dick, David, Emily, Ben, Ethan, Jack and us. (also on site but we didn't meet that night were Ryan, Tineal (sorry if I've mis-spelled this) and her son Trey)

Monday:
Pretty well hungover all day! Did a run to Sainsbury's for food since we'd missed the Sunday night closing time. Later set up for a storm coming in overnight and added an extra tarp to protect on the storm side. Later I was lying in my hammock hearing branches snap and hit the ground and wondering if I'd checked above our camp sufficiently!

Tuesday:
Very heavy wind and rain overnight but we survived unscathed apart from the fact that the storm changed direction and some of our kit got a wee bit wet (including the end of Mel's and Daniel's hammocks and sleeping bags) added more drip lines but a bit late. Rejigged the camp to protect against the wind from the north.
Mel made bacon sandwiches while I removed a couple of ticks from my leg.
Still heavy rain spells and strong breeze but forecast says dry for the rest of the week. Daniel made a half-hearted attempt at washing the dishes lol.
Emily made a lovely crumble for us to share. Thanks Emily.
20190730-IMG_4528.jpg

Sat around campfire carving in the afternoon/evening.
20190730-IMG_4545.jpg

20190730-IMG_4546.jpg

Wednesday:
Up at 08:30ish Provisions are still at a reasonable level. We won't have to resort to eating a camp mate until after the Aldi parsnip soup is finished.
David has escaped. He must have heard me finishing the soup. :)
Made a couple of pot hangers.
A good result for our family in the HFT with Daniel taking first in the juniors and also first overall, me second and Mel 4th.
20190731-IMG_4589.jpg
20190731-IMG_4594.jpg

A big thanks to @divebuddy for setting up the HFT again and also for the CAAAAAKE, Thanks Dick!
20190731-IMG_4593.jpg

Evening, spaghetti bolognaise for dinner then sat around the communal fire.
Heading to our camp after midnight we noticed that the stars were out. Here are a couple of photos I took.
20190731-IMG_4637.jpg

A shot of the Milky Way (F2.8,15 sec, ISO1600 and tweaked in Lightroom)

20190731-IMG_4640.jpg

And Ursa Major

Thursday:
Up at 08:30. Went for a walk in the woods
Back for coffee and made bannock
11:45 Matt, Neil, Ben and I went down to the rover to fill the water containers. Ben and I went to Lidl for some supplies.
Lunch: Made onion bannock and beans
20190802-IMG_4757.jpg

Afternoon: Daniel played his guitar at the communal fire, Mel rested and I read and collected firewood.
Dinner of potatoes and Irish stew
Target practice with a few cans with Daniel then in the evening, you guessed it, sat around the communal campfire chatting. :)

Friday:
Up and packed what we'd not use and Matt helped us down to the car with it.
Did some more target shooting with Daniel, Ethan and Jack. (I'll post the HFT and shooting pics separately)
Chilled out for the rest of the day. Curry and rice for dinner.

Saturday:
Up at 08:00 and all packed and left by 10:00

Another great summer meet organised primarily by @Matt , thanks again treacle. :)

20190731-IMG_4584.jpg

Back