• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Wales Summer Meet (September 2023) Chat and Banter thread

Is it a secret 🤫🤷🏼‍♂️😂 what wid and what wid I need to do with said wid 🤷🏼‍♂️

Or is it only previous participants that Ken what to do with WID 😳
We all chipped in for a big dumpy bag o wid. It was pretty good hardwood that served for the tent stoves and the evening it fire. It was delivered the day before and I shipped it up in the tractor as it was needed.

@Colbrandist1974 @Ark79 Bowmaking: I have enough tools for one person, so you may trip over each other if you are both using my tools. The three tools that could cause a bottleneck are: a small axe or hatchet, a draw knife and a spoke shave. If you have your own please bring them - and make sure they are sharp. Eveything else will not be a problem or I will be providing. Making the bow takes two FULL days, you will really need to apply yourselves and not let yourself get diverted. If you crack on you will either end up with a shooting bow or a broken stick (it happens sometimes) but either way you will know how to make a bow.

@Colbrandist1974 @Ark79 Bowmaking: I have enough tools for one person, so you may trip over each other if you are both using my tools. The three tools that could cause a bottleneck are: a small axe or hatchet, a draw knife and a spoke shave. If you have your own please bring them - and make sure they are sharp. Eveything else will not be a problem or I will be providing. Making the bow takes two FULL days, you will really need to apply yourselves and not let yourself get diverted. If you crack on you will either end up with a shooting bow or a broken stick (it happens sometimes) but either way you will know how to make a bow.

Perfect 👍🏻

I have a couple of draw knives but they will need sharpening. I only have one spoke shave…it’s probably hiding somewhere.

Right then, so I don’t make the easy mistake of buying garbage , is there any places in particular that you would recommend for me to head to ?
I think we've got it covered. Mark is going to bring his own tools. Mike has two draw knives that can probably be sharpened (I'll have my sharpening kit with me) and I will be bringing my tools. So I don't think you need to get your own tools unless you want make another bow in the future.

I think we've got it covered. Mark is going to bring his own tools. Mike has two draw knives that can probably be sharpened (I'll have my sharpening kit with me) and I will be bringing my tools. So I don't think you need to get your own tools unless you want make another bow in the future.
Excellent news, that’s a few more spare bob for beverages. Looking forward to it.

draw knife bought (alongside other stuff🫣) now I know it wasn’t mentioned but instead of the spoke knife I’ve bought cabinet scrapers a little harder to shave with but I don’t mind that

draw knife bought (alongside other stuff🫣) now I know it wasn’t mentioned but instead of the spoke knife I’ve bought cabinet scrapers a little harder to shave with but I don’t mind that
You will mind once you get half way through and the blisters are starting to swell :sneaky: This ash has had a couple of years to dry and it’s harder than frozen nougat.

Back