• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Survival rifle

Are there any air rifles that are either spring or gas ram powered that produce over 12 FP of energy ?

Are there any air rifles that are either spring or gas ram powered that produce over 12 FP of energy ?

Many of the rifles that are made on the continent obviously comply to their own country of origins law - this means that if you buy the rifle that is made in Spain where I believe the allowed poundage for an airgun is in the 18-25ft lbs it has to have a down regulated spring put in to be sold in the UK ( sub 12ft lbs ) - You can purchase many many air rifles which deliver well over the small 12ft but you will need to obtain an FAC to have it.

That being said the FAC air guns tend to be very pricey when compared to a 22LR Rifle - so if youve gone to the effort of obtaining a FAC in the first place I'd question why one would want a pricey powerful air gun over a conventional Firearm?,

In answer to your original question you can obviously get an Air rifle that produces over 12ft lb. Just remember that there is a ballistic co-efficient that exists with size of projectile , is a really faster travelling 22 air pellet going to achieve your desired result?

Thanks both for info.
I was just thinking buy a below 12 fp now and a spare spring to put in later should all go haywire and no rol remaining.
Mainly because pellets can be stored in such small spaces.
There would probably be a problem with the change in velocity not liking the pellets stored though.:crying::sad:

A weihrauch hw80 was originally designed to be 23 ft/lbs, the spring was shortened to comply with our legislation of max 12 ft/lbs.
If I had to buy a gun and had one choice it would be the silenced version of that.

The weihrauch hw90 is a servicable gas ram that with the right pump and adapter can be adjusted very easily although illegal to do unless you hold a fac for such a gun

I have a Fenix Cometa which I believe originates in Spain where the poundage is different upon issue.

If only I could get an original spring for the same.....

;)

I have a Fenix Cometa which I believe originates in Spain where the poundage is different upon issue.

If only I could get an original spring for the same.....
You right, it's Spanish and would probably need work on the trigger unless your lucky

;)

A weihrauch hw80 was originally designed to be 23 ft/lbs, the spring was shortened to comply with our legislation of max 12 ft/lbs.
If I had to buy a gun and had one choice it would be the silenced version of that.
Owned both the 80 & 77k most reliable air rifles I've ever owned and I've had a few. With a bit of understanding and technical ability they can be made into very efficient small game weapons. With a few pare parts put away they will be serviceable for a lifetime. Used with good quality pellets they are very accurate , I used H&N Barracuda Match 21gr

I've seen a few of these duel caliber rifles over the years, often .22lr and .410 shotgun combination in an over and under configuration. Unfortunately they're unsilenced. There is nothing like a few gunshots to draw unwanted attention.
I prefer my screw cut & silenced CZ, the main noise it creates is the thump of the bullet hitting the bunny. Accurate up to about 150m (Hornady ammo) unlike the combination barrels. The .410 is only good for small game or pigeons up to 25m Max.
These combination rifles are a bit gimmicky and expensive but they do use 2 of the most readily available types of ammunition.

I've seen a few of these duel caliber rifles over the years, often .22lr and .410 shotgun combination in an over and under configuration. Unfortunately they're unsilenced. There is nothing like a few gunshots to draw unwanted attention.
I prefer my screw cut & silenced CZ, the main noise it creates is the thump of the bullet hitting the bunny. Accurate up to about 150m (Hornady ammo) unlike the combination barrels. The .410 is only good for small game or pigeons up to 25m Max.
These combination rifles are a bit gimmicky and expensive but they do use 2 of the most readily available types of ammunition.
Round ball in a .410 will enable you to take medium to large game & you can load these yourself.
Keith.

I know the air rifle & the muzzle-loaders are not a match for modern rimfire & centerfire firearms in a fire fight (though it only takes one good hit to drop an assailant), which is a good reason for owning modern guns, but if we think about hunting long term, then the air rifle & the muzzle-loader become a better option.
The little .32 caliber flintlock rifle is more powerful than a rimfire .22 LR & just as accurate. The lead ball or minies you make yourself & the weight if you have to carry this lead is small compared to modern ammo. My .32 can take medium & small game with just 14 grains of 3FG black powder. You can carry enough lead & gunpowder to last you a lifetime. Compared to the weight of lead gunpowder is very light, & you can retrieve spent lead from game & easily remould it. You can do this with a rimfire .22.

In a fire fight you are better off with a muzzle-loader than an air rifle, because there is more shock value to the muzzle-loader, & of course it is more powerful.
Keith.
FLINTLOCK RIFLE 006.JPG

There is another issue with combination firearms in the UK, they're a licensing nightmare. It's almost impossible to prove a need to own one. Plus you'd need both FAC and shotgun certificate.
If you have both an FAC and shotgun certificate you can use a product called rat shot which was designed as a low power alternative allowing a .22LR to be used in barns and sheds. It reduces the risk of ricochet by using shot and is as effective as a 410 at very close range.
In addition to Keith's last post, if anyone is thinking of using sabot rounds in a shotgun you will need to use an UN-CHOKED OR "FULL"barrel to avoid risk of breach/barrel failure. This also goes for cutting the outer case of a shotgun shell around the wadding to create a solid projectile.

I know the air rifle & the muzzle-loaders are not a match for modern rimfire & centerfire firearms in a fire fight (though it only takes one good hit to drop an assailant), which is a good reason for owning modern guns, but if we think about hunting long term, then the air rifle & the muzzle-loader become a better option.
The little .32 caliber flintlock rifle is more powerful than a rimfire .22 LR & just as accurate. The lead ball or minies you make yourself & the weight if you have to carry this lead is small compared to modern ammo. My .32 can take medium & small game with just 14 grains of 3FG black powder. You can carry enough lead & gunpowder to last you a lifetime. Compared to the weight of lead gunpowder is very light, & you can retrieve spent lead from game & easily remould it. You can do this with a rimfire .22.

In a fire fight you are better off with a muzzle-loader than an air rifle, because there is more shock value to the muzzle-loader, & of course it is more powerful.
Keith.
View attachment 106

All very true Keith, I have invested in mould and swage tool to make .22 14grain pellets for my spring air rifle along with a custom spring from a firm in Birmingham.

I think i'll stick to my air rifles, i'll probably only be hunting small game in a survival situation, Red Deer and Wild Boar are a bit too big for just 2 people , we had the chance of half a pig for the freezer back along, but its too much meat, we'd be eating pork for the next 2 years and only pork!!

All very true Keith, I have invested in mould and swage tool to make .22 14grain pellets for my spring air rifle along with a custom spring from a firm in Birmingham.
Excellent! I still have my BSA .22 air rifle I brought over from my home in England many years ago. I need to get more pellets though.
Keith.

Excellent! I still have my BSA .22 air rifle I brought over from my home in England many years ago. I need to get more pellets though.
Keith.

Keith , Do you not have a Pellet Mould?

Keith , Do you not have a Pellet Mould?
No mate, back in the UK all those years ago pellets were inexpensive, & I have used this rifle very little over here. I have never bothered to get a mould for .22 slugs, & probably won't.
Keith.

Back