• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Swag, bedroll, sleep system and any other similar ....

Attachments

• IMG-20191128-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20191128-WA0013.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 159
Hand sewing now as too thick for sewing machine. If it doesn't work out no loss as dogs will use it ! 🤣

Attachments

• IMG-20191128-WA0024.jpeg
    IMG-20191128-WA0024.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 103
I have been waiting for my neighbours to take down their family tent from their garden for the last ten days or so.

With the weather on the turn that is exactly what they have done. :thumbsup:

So with rain on the way :sneaky: & peace & quiet required ( No brats playing in nearby gardens all day & half the night) :rolleyes: I have put up my Dutch Army tent in our garden with the DD 4x4 tarp over the top.

Tonight I intend to test my Futon Bed In A Bag to see how I get on with it. I will be using it without a sleep-mat during the night & depending how I get on I may try it with a sleep-mat later this week. :)

Be interested to see how you go with the futon, I had a futon sofa in an old flat and I found it more comfy than my proper scratcher.

As another here says..."pictures!"

And as again, another has/had...you used to be able to get a thing called a "Czech Army Officers bedroll". This was a very thick and heavy quilted cotton wad bag that did up with duffel coat pegs (duffel or duffle?) including a hood piece! (hood, not cod...)
You could open it right up double bed size and it cost only £35...............
Amazing and massive thing, which I gave to my neighbours son living up their garden......in a lavvu!!

Last edited:
@WildWood1965 I've used a thick recliner pad before,much like a futon and I would just say to make sure you have insulation under it, these things seem to draw cold from the ground. They are comfy, but cold.
Look forward to hearing what you think☺️

So with rain on the way :sneaky: & peace & quiet required ( No brats playing in nearby gardens all day & half the night) :rolleyes: I have put up my Dutch Army tent in our garden with the DD 4x4 tarp over the top.
So does this one have flaps over the zips......if not, have they been effective against rain? Or do you always use the tarp?

So does this one have flaps over the zips......if not, have they been effective against rain? Or do you always use the tarp?

No flaps over the zips. I had a bad experience in Scotland in torrential rain whilst not using a tarp a few years ago hence the belt & braces approach. Even though the tent has it's flaws I would not part with it.

Need to try to keep this thread on topic though if we can please chaps ! :)

I have just added a space blanket beneath the Futon for added insulation thanks @Brambling for the tip ! :thumbsup:

Adrian 1967's 3 layer blanket thingy is very like my old Jaeger sleeping bag which is a mix of wool and camel, now as rare as rocking horse poo according to a forum on Jaeger products. so old that they didn't have a copy of the logo/label from the time, they got quite excited.

Reactions: lol
Adrian 1967's 3 layer blanket thingy is very like my old Jaeger sleeping bag which is a mix of wool and camel, now as rare as rocking horse poo according to a forum on Jaeger products. so old that they didn't have a copy of the logo/label from the time, they got quite excited.
Is this in any way similar to the Czech surplus blanket bag thingy, that you used to be able to get a few years ago for about a tenner? Brilliantly designed little? blanket bag, perhaps not that warm, but in the summer, I love mine :thumbsup: (Selling for £30-£40 now...ye Gods!!!)

Very similar. It is a three layer blanket bag that opens 1/3 of the way down one side and fastens with vegetable ivory buttons. The blanket fabric contains camel hair-wool mix...this one is from the very early 1900's from around the beginning of Jeager as a manufacturing company instead of being a range of products produced under licence..
Camel hair sounds itchy but in fact it's really comfortable and an amazing insulator.

Very similar. It is a three layer blanket bag that opens 1/3 of the way down one side and fastens with vegetable ivory buttons. The blanket fabric contains camel hair-wool mix...this one is from the very early 1900's from around the beginning of Jeager as a manufacturing company instead of being a range of products produced under licence..
Camel hair sounds itchy but in fact it's really comfortable and an amazing insulator.
Thank you for that.
Sounds fabulous........any piccies?

Back