• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register
I I Keith lad I have heard of it :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Ahar me hearty, there be a fair wind blowing your way then ahar
emoticon_pirate.jpg

Keith.

I don't like the sea or boats, I nearly drowned when I was 12.
I am not so keen on the ocean, a lot of water out there & I have been on ships. I do love the water though & love boating. I have an 18th century period style boat, & have been on the Great Lakes in it. We did get swamped by a sudden storm one time in winter on the Great Lakes. We had to get out & swim the boat to shore. My friend emptied the boat whilst I got a fire going in the pouring rain.
In the Territory I have two canoes. I remember one time paddling down this river & the crocodiles were diving off the banks causing waves that rocked the canoe. Crocs will attack boats, but I have never had it happen to me.
Keith.
Historical_Trekking_KH_Boat_jpg_REDUCED.jpg

if you knew anything about the Devon accent you'd know that's how the old timers speak down here anyway, sadly that lovely broad devon accent is slowly dying as more people speak with non accents these days.

if you knew anything about the Devon accent you'd know that's how the old timers speak down here anyway, sadly that lovely broad devon accent is slowly dying as more people speak with non accents these days.
Yes I recall, quite true. Love that accent.
Keith.

wife's friend of half a century still speaks with a broad Devon accent, as did a few old boys(and gal's) we used to know but sadly they are now a dying breed.
my mother had a Lancashire accent, all "boooks and loooks and lurries", I've inherited the Lurry bit.

wife's friend of half a century still speaks with a broad Devon accent, as did a few old boys(and gal's) we used to know but sadly they are now a dying breed.
my mother had a Lancashire accent, all "boooks and loooks and lurries", I've inherited the Lurry bit.
My Father was from Kent, & my Mother was Cymru, South Wales.
Keith.

my mother was from Lancashire, Fathers family come from Barnstaple, North Devon, going back centuries, there are loads of people that live there now with my Surname, at one time the fire chief was one of these.

my mother was from Lancashire, Fathers family come from Barnstaple, North Devon, going back centuries, there are loads of people that live there now with my Surname, at one time the fire chief was one of these.
I wish I could get more info out of my remaining family in England & Wales. My Father's middle name was Newton, & it used to be common in England to bare the name of the area you were born in. I suspect there is a link there somewhere.
Keith.

It's the same where l come from. My grandmother spoke dialect as her first language and, although l understand it, l don't speak it normally. Only the older generation still use it although the youngsters still have an accent which places them. Interestingly, if you ask one of the oldsters to repeat something they first said in dialect they will then repeat it in English, thinking that you didn't understand first time.

One part of my family speaks in a Belfast accent, another speaks Welsh as their first language while an old part of my family came from Worcester. I was raised in Liverpool but thankfully I have no accent at all seems like I dodged at least four bullets :rofl::rofl::rofl:.
People can tell I'm not from the South East but that's about it.

Back