• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Tan Hill fail

Bopdude

Extremely Addicted
As per title, I tried to get to the pub at Tan Hill today, tried 2 ways of getting in but the snow best me both times, once with a complete white out, and the other sheer amount of snow, imho it was a proper life threatening decision to go on so I turned back, 6 miles away was the closest I got. On the way back down the A66 the gritters were in pairs East and West, would have been good to get their but really doubt I would have got out tomorrow, temps were already down to minus 3 at 13.00 ish

Nice ride out though :)

As per title, I tried to get to the pub at Tan Hill today, tried 2 ways of getting in but the snow best me both times, once with a complete white out, and the other sheer amount of snow, imho it was a proper life threatening decision to go on so I turned back, 6 miles away was the closest I got. On the way back down the A66 the gritters were in pairs East and West, would have been good to get their but really doubt I would have got out tomorrow, temps were already down to minus 3 at 13.00 ish

Nice ride out though :)
I know from personal experience how bad it can get up there Al

Yes Joe, it can be some of the bleakest environment at times, as I said, I said life threatening without exaggeration, as you know, you get caught out there unprepared and you're in for a rough ride .

Good decision Al :thumbsup:.......not so bad if you can walk in a mile or two up the road from home to get to a site.......a 4x4 would obviously be better in the snow......even then its a judgment call depending on the conditions/forecast.
A lot of the rural roads never see a snow plough.....easy to get caught out:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back