• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Tarp Configurations

I could probably live with the Arrow Head, but tarp origami is a bit beyond me usually. As for a mesh tent under a tarp..too late mate, I've been doing that for ages. :D

They are great. They make it look easy. I went out a couple of weeks ago to try the one where its like a tent tarp... did not succeed. I have a 3x3 that i have added extra eyelet grommet washers to make it close to the standard of a DD tarp but i am still trying to figure out a way of putting some kind of loops for the middle part of the tarp so i can pin it up. Cant use a grommets because it would then leak. Have been thinking to use some strong tape and a small material loop but something makes me think that will just come off.

They are great. They make it look easy. I went out a couple of weeks ago to try the one where its like a tent tarp... did not succeed. I have a 3x3 that i have added extra eyelet grommet washers to make it close to the standard of a DD tarp but i am still trying to figure out a way of putting some kind of loops for the middle part of the tarp so i can pin it up. Cant use a grommets because it would then leak. Have been thinking to use some strong tape and a small material loop but something makes me think that will just come off.

Hi Wilf.

Would something like this do the job for you.....use contact adhesive to fix :thumbsup:

Reactions: Bam
Excellent. Thats ace. And very cheap. Thanks

You are very welcome Wilf :thumbsup: I have used the same sort of patches on one of my own tarps....they work well:)
I did stitch them as well......added seam sealer to prevent leaks.

Reactions: Bam
Great. Was it necessary? Did the pads have an adhesive on them?

Probably not necessary to stitch.....just my preference......it was a polly cotton tarp.
No adhesive on the pads I used Wilf.....not to say there are not others out there that have mate :thumbsup:

What I did several years ago with my cheap yuzet tarp was to hand stitch the 2 end loops but the middle loop was initially glued into place with 2 part epoxy then small rivets through the tape wings in conjunction with 2 small washers to each rivet

@wilf yu any particular reason you want to hang the tarp and not use a walking pole of stick / branch, it's my favourite go to configuration, if I'm not using walking poles I carry a tennis ball with a slit in to prevent the stick going through the tarp.
E349FA88-102A-4099-ACD1-BB3C017FD283.jpeg

@wilf yu any particular reason you want to hang the tarp and not use a walking pole of stick / branch, it's my favourite go to configuration, if I'm not using walking poles I carry a tennis ball with a slit in to prevent the stick going through the tarp.View attachment 21290

A spare pair of socks works as well, assuming you have a spare pair of course. :rolleyes:

Well just for different designs really. I always bring some kind of tent to sleep in so the tarp is normally for a 'chillin' area with friends. Depending on if its 2 or 3 and the type of terrain and trees, and making it so we are sheltered from the weather, can sit down and stand up underneath it has always been a challenge. We have never really had a apecific technique just kinda wing it everytime. I figured with the extra loops would give us more chocie. We often use sticks as props etc but only recently used them efficiently (tying a guy line from an eyelet then immediately to a stick then anchoring it to the ground. We have always found proping it up under the tarp it always slips due to wind or people bashing it. I think extra loops would give more space considering the people whonl could be involved.

Here is a random one i made. I wanted it semi closed off to use a stove in. The front flap got pulled down at night.

Also bopdude. I tryed making one like that after watching a youtube video and it went horribly wrong... more practice needed for me for that one.

Attachments

• 20191221_150140.jpg
    20191221_150140.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 20191221_150154.jpg
    20191221_150154.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 20191220_183958.jpg
    20191220_183958.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 95
Thanks for the phots Wilf, it looks like there's plenty eyelets on the one you have but you can get a DD for 30 odd quid with the ridgeline loops in place, dunno if that's a deal breaker for you. There's no harm in having spare tarps, especially if you're in the woods.

Yes i have just looked online and you are right. Mine was 12 pound... plus 7 pound for the extra grommet eyelets... if i were to purchase the D ring pads for 8 pound and then some epoxy and add the price of thread... its going to be a similar price if not more 😂😂 i should have went with the DD tarp in the first place i guess.

Back