• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Tarp Configurations

@wilf yu

The DD is a good choice Wilf.....if you decide to go for it? :thumbsup:

The bonus being all the loops and eyelets you need are already professionally attached.......no mods required........ready to go.
If you enjoy trying out different tarp configurations......and have friends along now and then......it might be worth thinking about going big.......4x4 :thumbsup:
Being an equal square and a good size would be a help with shelter builds and configurations.

You mentioned the lack of suitable sticks in certain situations and venues to pitch the tarp.
Have you thought about adding some purpose made poles to the kit.
Fairly lightweight and adjustable height....strong.....and have a nice spike at the top that will slip into the tarp grommets giving a secure hold.

I personally find them a huge help and bonus with a few of my shelters.
You can buy different types......but I would happily recommend the Robens.......worth shopping around on price of course.

It's all adding to the costs......but so worth it to know you are prepared and working efficiently in most situations. :)

Last edited:
Example picture of the poles in use Wilf :thumbsup:

IMG_20200314_153816.jpg

Shows the spike through grommet :thumbsup:

It is a "One Tegris Bungalow 2" Wolfs.....only had it out a couple of times and very happy with it so far :thumbsup:
There is a thread I started with lots of chat and pictures mate if it interests you. :)

Last edited:
Yer thanks i will consider the poles if they were light enough.

And the bungalow tent... 👌🏻 amazing. I have came across that tent online it is exactly what i wanted but was a bit out of my price range at the time so i went for the cheaper option of the yellowstone. I will go to the chat page you stated and have a better look 👍

They are great. They make it look easy. I went out a couple of weeks ago to try the one where its like a tent tarp... did not succeed. I have a 3x3 that i have added extra eyelet grommet washers to make it close to the standard of a DD tarp but i am still trying to figure out a way of putting some kind of loops for the middle part of the tarp so i can pin it up. Cant use a grommets because it would then leak. Have been thinking to use some strong tape and a small material loop but something makes me think that will just come off.
In the centre of the tarp, or where you are running your ridge put a small (finger nail sized) stone, from the other side of the tarp put a simple thumb knot over the stone at the mid point of what you are using as a ridge/ guy line then attach it at the grommet either edge and adjust the tension from both ends. This trick with the stone can be used to apply tension to any part of a tarp to take the baggyness out of large flat areas. It works best on lightweight fabrics.

Last edited:
When I use a tarp I favour using 2 walking poles fully extended and lashed at the handles to form an "A" frame for the doorway.
P1050291.jpg

Occasionally I'll use a single pole, but that's usually when I'm out for a day walk and decide on the spur of the moment to stay out for the night. Single pole is fine for a quick shelter, but the "A" is better for a longer stay, I find.
DSCF4577.jpg

Taking a guy line from the tarp centre line to a high point helps stabilise and give more room inside. I took a couple of lines to the Gorse bushes in the photos above.

Attachments

• P1050291.jpg
    P1050291.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF4577.jpg
    DSCF4577.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 18
I've only tried one configuration, that's over a ridgeline above my hammock! I'm going to try out some of these

Does anyone have any good tricks or configurations for also using a tarp to collect rainwater overnight? Shelter/rainwater collection combined?

Does anyone have any good tricks or configurations for also using a tarp to collect rainwater overnight? Shelter/rainwater collection combined?

Hennessy Hammock do this ......

Thanks Rob, that is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for though I will probably end up making one out of a tea strainer or something similar :thumbsup:

I like the idea of the A frame, I'll try that out in the garden I think :)

The simple A shape gives a lot of space, me and Smurf use it quite a lot, either between trees or with walking poles. I keep a lot of 2M lengths of paracord with my tarp so can either use them as they are or join them if a longer line is needed. When using walking poles to create the shape I will have a couple of lines from the pole at an angle to give a bit of strength. Its worked well enough in the past although I've not tried it in hooley.

Hennessy Hammock do this ......

was thinking the same , a cut down plastic bottle maybe? There are a couple of YouTube videos showing the Hennessy kit and one using a plastic bag .....

was thinking the same , a cut down plastic bottle maybe? There are a couple of YouTube videos showing the Hennessy kit and one using a plastic bag .....
I was thinking something like a narrow funnel shape held in place by a spring steel wire bottle hanger. The filter out of a mixer tap nozzle would probably do to filter out the pine needles and bird poop. As you say, the neck of a pop bottle would be ideal.

@wilf yu any particular reason you want to hang the tarp and not use a walking pole of stick / branch, it's my favourite go to configuration, if I'm not using walking poles I carry a tennis ball with a slit in to prevent the stick going through the tarp.View attachment 21290
Going to use this imminently for a proper wild camp with 2 canoe paddles as an a frame...................

Back