• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Temperature Test ........

Madriverrob

Extremely Addicted
Not really wild camping as such as I'll be in my garden but will be good preparation for winter wild camping trips .
Tonight is forecast for zero Degrees here in Whitby , I'm planning to test my current hammock set up , to see if I'm warm enough .

I will be using

Napsack Hammocks single hammock with Napsack Hammock tarp .
DD under blanket
Thermarest Z mat
Alpkit Skyhigh 500 sleeping bag ( -4 rating)
Alpkit Cloud Cover quilt ( as back up )

Clothing wise I'll be wearing

Thermal long johns and top
Socks

I'll also have down socks , gloves and balaclava as back up .

I'll post some kit pictures and an update later . Its currently snowing !

For me till -1*C is still summer camping with summer equipment, of course worn all over each other. But still summer camping.

I feel that things really change at -5*C.

Between -5C and -10C for me it feels somehow dangerous outside, what I don't think till -1*C.

(Camping lower than -10*C is obviously dangerous, and that I usually do only really over equipped.)

Set up and ready for tonight’s experiment 🥶🤔🙏😳

Hope it works out for you :D Looking forward to the pictures and how it went.....now no cheating and sneaking back into the house :lol:

Excellent mate , slept like a baby , woke once about three am and then sprang into action at 6.45 as usual .

Thermometer this morning showed temp below zero and a light frost on my tarp .

Kit wise , everything performed as expected , I started with normal socks but did put my down socks on for extra comfort . Slept in balaclava but removed during the night . Didn’t need extra down later at all , sleeping bag performed well .

I started off with the bag only partially zipped but noticed a few cold spots so as I settled it was hood on , arms in and fully zipped , worked a treat .

The Napsack hammock was stable and roomy ( it is quite deeply cut so presents with high sides ) it allowed me to adjust my sleeping position diagonally and also allowed me to sleep on my side ( something I’ve never been comfortable doing in other hammocks ).

When I woke this morning my sleeping bag was a touch damp around my chin , condensation from my breathing (?) but other than that no issues .

I’m happy with test and now confident to use my kit in the colder weather 👍

Here’s a few pics for you .......

Way to go, Rob,👍

Pleased you are happy with your set up.....very nice mate.

I take it you were greeted with a smile and cup of from the good lady while in the hammock :D
That Tarp and closed ends will give you great protection from any wind.........how low do you reckon you could get it to the ground?

Nice pictures thanks for sharing 👍

Way to go, Rob,👍

Pleased you are happy with your set up.....very nice mate.

I take it you were greeted with a smile and cup of from the good lady while in the hammock :D
That Tarp and closed ends will give you great protection from any wind.........how low do you reckon you could get it to the ground?

Nice pictures thanks for sharing 👍

LOL no chance of a brew for me mate , that's why I had to get up at 6.45 ( to make her one !) .....
I think it can pitch quite low , almost as a tent , was a bit awkward in the garden as its on a slope , when I go camping in February I'm going to try a few different pitches with it and some of my other gear so will have a better idea then .

Last edited:
Spot on rob :ninja::D

Tested and read to go as you said....always good to see and read post like this as it’s a good kit review for us sitting at home...a like the hammock camping myself and it’s good to know the napsack allowes for you to sleep on your side...that’s the position I sleep in but same as...I don’t trust it with the dd hammock...good hammock just doesn’t feel right lol

Spot on rob :ninja::D

Tested and read to go as you said....always good to see and read post like this as it’s a good kit review for us sitting at home...a like the hammock camping myself and it’s good to know the napsack allowes for you to sleep on your side...that’s the position I sleep in but same as...I don’t trust it with the dd hammock...good hammock just doesn’t feel right lol

The hammock I used last night was a small single , its the narrowest ( smallest pack size and lightest as well) in the range and is still a generous cut , ive had two really good nights in it so far .

Back