• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

That's an odd chicken.

Never say never, CB about getting birds again ;)
My friend and I years ago were the founder members of the Norfolk Falconers Association, one of the rules was flying jesses had to have your phone number marked / burned on them.
Once had a female Harris hanging about one of my free flights where a Male Harris was in for moult, she was jessed (not marked) & tail belled, new full well who`s she was, as it came straight to the fist when (pip, pip, pip) whistled .
Rang him, No he hadn`t lost a bird, all his on bow`s etc etc, approached him at the next club meeting as breeders ring from IBR was his, still `NO` its certainly not mine, he never attended any meetings, left club thereafter. I kept her with male in open flight and they bred with her.
Talk about cut nose to spite face:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Female Harris Hawks were £1000 when I first seriously started hawking. This made them prohibitively
expensive to most people, which wasn't a bad thing. If you were going to lay out that sort of money back then
you made sure you read up on things first, and if possible found a mentor,falconer for back up. By the end of the
90's they were being sold for £200, an eighth of the cost in real terms. This allowed almost anyone to buy one,
and lots did without any thought or preparation at all. The main losers being the birds of coarse.

I knew a falconer Scott from Canvey Island, he was a member of the South Est Falconers Group (Essex) club meet once a month at Tilbury, First Female Harris from club member £750, had flown buzzard & Spars prior.
Scott later moved to North Norfolk, we hawked every chance through the season, started the Norfolk Falconers Association as we came across some right "Clueless, Silly Billy`s", as we had a bench mark the SEFG.
We would also sometimes go to the SEFG meetings, also catching up at the yearly Falconers Fair`s, at there stand.
Scott later moved back to Canvey, where he unfortunately became ill and died.
Last birds I sold were Superior`s £450 females, £350 males, big birds females flew at 2lb 6oz+ males 1lb 9oz+.
Funny thing is, bl##dy miss the birds :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Female Harris Hawks were £1000 when I first seriously started hawking. This made them prohibitively
expensive to most people, which wasn't a bad thing. If you were going to lay out that sort of money back then
you made sure you read up on things first, and if possible found a mentor,falconer for back up. By the end of the
90's they were being sold for £200, an eighth of the cost in real terms. This allowed almost anyone to buy one,
and lots did without any thought or preparation at all. The main losers being the birds of coarse.

;) Hey CB bet you still have you`re glove, swivels, bells hoods & leather to make almari, Jesses, bewits a bows and or blocks like i have, :rolleyes:
Furnish her up, you`ll soon get back to it, 🤔 if we weren`t opposite coasts would be tempted 🤔

;) Hey CB bet you still have you`re glove, swivels, bells hoods & leather to make almari, Jesses, bewits a bows and or blocks like i have, :rolleyes:
Furnish her up, you`ll soon get back to it, 🤔 if we weren`t opposite coasts would be tempted 🤔
You're right I still have all the gear, bit this ones an imprint for sure, had a really bad experience with the same about 20 years back.
Lucky not to have ended up in serious :poo: . One and only time I bought a " trained " bird.

Back