• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

The bees are out and about again. (Lazy beekeeping)

Ystranc

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pleased to say that all five of the hives that I had at the beginning of winter have been active with the last two days of warm weather. Unfortunately there is no forage for them yet apart from cherry plumb blossom and hamamelis so I will need to put a small contact feeder containing sugar solution on each hive. If you have bees it's time for a quick check on stores. A feeder will prompt the queen to lay eggs and build up your hive for an early division. :)
Now is a good time to start checking for drone comb. If you can remove the first batch of capped drone comb from along the bottom of your frames or from a drone comb trap you can seriously reduce the number of varroa mites in the hive without chemical intervention.

Must be a lot warmer where you are, we have no blossom here and no way am I inspecting my bees yet. I gave them some fondant earlier in the year and will give them some pollen patties beginning of feb. Fondant is energy food but pollen is protein, just what those brood need for building up the hive ready for spring.

I love Bees and have always wanted to keep them. I envy you both.
My part of the north has no blossom yet either Hodgson;) but it is a lovely sunny morning so I don't think it will be long.

The hamamelis always flowers in February. The hazel and willow catkins are just opening, Dandelion buds are forming and Spring is almost upon us :)
Once it gets over 10 degrees through the day and the bees are taking their cleansing flights it is safe to open the hive. If your bees are still in a ball it would be best not to disturb them with a full inspection and just apply feed as you say Hodgson but mine seem to be up and about.

How much room do you need to keep them ystranc?
Wouldnt want them all over me while having beer and BBQ in the one day of welsh sun.

You can keep hives in quite small spaces as long as you're not having to walk through the flight path to the hive. A lot of city beekeepers keep their hives on rooftops to get them up out ot the way of people. If you join a local beekeeping association they will teach the basics but also provide mentoring. You may even be able to get your first hive of bees through them. It also helps if you can cooperate with other local beekeepers when it comes to bee health.

The hamamelis always flowers in February. The hazel and willow catkins are just opening, Dandelion buds are forming and Spring is almost upon us :)
Once it gets over 10 degrees through the day and the bees are taking their cleansing flights it is safe to open the hive. If your bees are still in a ball it would be best not to disturb them with a full inspection and just apply feed as you say Hodgson but mine seem to be up and about.
10? Its a hard frost again this morning, we have snowdrops, crocus and hazel but I haven't seen anything else yet, winter isn't done with us yet :confused:

You can keep hives in quite small spaces as long as you're not having to walk through the flight path to the hive. A lot of city beekeepers keep their hives on rooftops to get them up out ot the way of people. If you join a local beekeeping association they will teach the basics but also provide mentoring. You may even be able to get your first hive of bees through them. It also helps if you can cooperate with other local beekeepers when it comes to bee health.

Cheers willl look into it later, as dont want to many spinning plates.

10? Its a hard frost again this morning, we have snowdrops, crocus and hazel but I haven't seen anything else yet, winter isn't done with us yet :confused:

Really hard frost again here in Belgium too, although the sun is shining and there is a look of spring in the air and the hydrangea is coming into leaf. The woodpeckers have started drumming to each other and I've seen a few red squirrels today and so spring must be trying to come despite the hard frosts.
February.jpg

Last edited:
Back