• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

The best way

It's a long road, and I'm sure you know that the physical, practical skills are only a part of the ability to survive. People accomplished in the accepted methods relating to shelter, water acquisition, fire,food etc: obviously stand a better chance than someone with no such knowledge but survival begins between the ears and in the heart. Without the mental attitude or the will to deal with it, it doesn't matter that you know all the practical drills because the lack of will and self belief will over ride those skills and sometimes people die because of those unseen factors.
Many times, even in this country people who... " He was an experienced walker, been up on the Moors/Mountains many times, knows what he's doing " become fatalities, and the inquest states, Hypothermia. And of course that is the medical reason, but there's a chance they were doomed once they gave up hope, or lacked the mental will power to think, " I'm going to get through this"
That may all sound a bit airy fairy but it's true, so as you start to polish or learn new practical skills work on your mental attitude too. " I can do that " is a good motto...:thumbsup:

A couldn’t put it better if I tried :thumbsup: :D exactly how I see it. Always “mind” first! Having the right mentality and no skills will push you through survival to surviving an ordeal and well Out the other side :thumbsup: having the wrong attitude then no amount of skills or knowledge can help.

It's a long road, and I'm sure you know that the physical, practical skills are only a part of the ability to survive. People accomplished in the accepted methods relating to shelter, water acquisition, fire,food etc: obviously stand a better chance than someone with no such knowledge but survival begins between the ears and in the heart. Without the mental attitude or the will to deal with it, it doesn't matter that you know all the practical drills because the lack of will and self belief will over ride those skills and sometimes people die because of those unseen factors.
Many times, even in this country people who... " He was an experienced walker, been up on the Moors/Mountains many times, knows what he's doing " become fatalities, and the inquest states, Hypothermia. And of course that is the medical reason, but there's a chance they were doomed once they gave up hope, or lacked the mental will power to think, " I'm going to get through this"
That may all sound a bit airy fairy but it's true, so as you start to polish or learn new practical skills work on your mental attitude too. " I can do that " is a good motto...:thumbsup:
Be it a country hike or an extended period of wild camping don't even attempt if you're a novice, always go with an experienced person until you know the ropes

Be it a country hike or an extended period of wild camping don't even attempt if you're a novice, always go with an experienced person until you know the ropes

Sound advice joe. Plenty of novices have got into difficult situations from being over confident

For young people way No 1 are surely the boy scouts. Here every thing is learned step by step in the right way. Even if you don't have a group in your town, you should contact the group in the next one.

For older people I recommend to buy a lightweight equipment how I describe it in the threads "How light is lightweight" and "Wild camping" and simply go hiking with this.

After a while you should reduce step by step parts of the equipment.

The best way is to carry it with you, but try not to use it, untill you are shure, that you don't need it any longer.

Back