• Welcome to Life In The Wilderness

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

The Brexit vote

Ystranc

I'm expecting to have a bloody huge headache but that will just be the alcohol...

Baytree

Extremely Talkative
I knew what you meant mate. ;)
I don't buy into the 'one side equals milk and honey and the other side is Armageddon', saw good and bad in remaining and leaving and while I think we'll be better over all staying, it wasn't what was voted for. While I think there's a fair whack of turkeys and Christmas about it, we're a large affluent nation and life will go on.

I really don't like the post vote changing things about.
I've a few friends who lean strongly one way or the other whereas I'm more of a fence sitter and the idea of a vote was a close one to me , as you say good and bad . I do feel the eu's days arre numbered and it will collapse which in many respects is a bad thing , better to be arguing about bent bananas than dropping bombs on each other. Whether it will be better to be in or out or even have one foot out the door if and when it all falls apart is probably anyone's guess but with turmoil globally I can't see the future being wholly rosy whichever path we choose.

Joecole

Staff member
I've a few friends who lean strongly one way or the other whereas I'm more of a fence sitter and the idea of a vote was a close one to me , as you say good and bad . I do feel the eu's days arre numbered and it will collapse which in many respects is a bad thing , better to be arguing about bent bananas than dropping bombs on each other. Whether it will be better to be in or out or even have one foot out the door if and when it all falls apart is probably anyone's guess but with turmoil globally I can't see the future being wholly rosy whichever path we choose.
I honestly believe that us leaving will just be the tip of the iceberg

Bam

Extremely Talkative
I honestly believe that us leaving will just be the tip of the iceberg
While some 'wee' countries might wish to leave (well the people) it's one thing 'mighty Blighty' doing it but for the likes of Holland (for example) it would be a huge leap of faith. If the UK was to start an alternative after leaving that might push others to jump ship. Even some of the larger countries are broke so maybe see the EU as the only show in town.
Unless zee Jarman's were to get fed up with it I can see the EU juggernaut trundling on for a long time.

Joecole

Staff member
While some 'wee' countries might wish to leave (well the people) it's one thing 'mighty Blighty' doing it but for the likes of Holland (for example) it would be a huge leap of faith. If the UK was to start an alternative after leaving that might push others to jump ship. Even some of the larger countries are broke so maybe see the EU as the only show in town.
Unless zee Jarman's were to get fed up with it I can see the EU juggernaut trundling on for a long time.
You might be right but the EU definitely has to change the rules

Bam

Extremely Talkative
You might be right but the EU definitely has to change the rules
It's not just the EU that is imperfect though. We have an unelected head of State and the governing party of our country can get into power on about 40 percent of the vote as long as they have the most seats. The seat boundaries get tweaked from time to time with accusations of interference.
If you're looking for perfection, you'll be looking a long time.

Joecole

Staff member
It's not just the EU that is imperfect though. We have an unelected head of State and the governing party of our country can get into power on about 40 percent of the vote as long as they have the most seats. The seat boundaries get tweaked from time to time with accusations of interference.
If you're looking for perfection, you'll be looking a long time.
There never will be perfection Bam

Bam

Extremely Talkative
I agree that the EU has done a fair bit of good and being a bit of an economic powerhouse (well some bits of it) gives it a strong position in negotiations and even just 'influence' and has played its part in keeping peace in Europe. Its disappeared up its own backside in a lot of regards and I can see why some are fed up. As I posted above, I think it will go on, while nothing is 'too big to fail' as long as the big hitting countries are happy to prop up the poorer ones then its likely to roll on. As far as I know we're the only ones who have had 'the vote' and I think even some of the Leave big guns were surprised that we decided to leave. It might put other countries politicians giving the lumpen proletariat the chance so unless there is overwhelming demand then why would politicians rock the boat. Maybe cynical there but they've given us plenty to be cynical about over the years.