• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

The Christmas post.

Cheers 'ar kid :D

It certainly has changed Dick.....and not for the better unfortunately :(
I lived there for about 5 years or so..... back in the late 70s early 80s......had some amazing and fun times there......the place was buzzing.

Might nip into the Handsworth social club whilst there :eek::rofl::rofl:.....NOT!!:rofl:

We will be staying in the centre.....not venturing out and about :thumbsup:
Broad Street is a right dodgy place at the moment apparently :(
Back in the ‘90s a serious amount of brass was spent on the south west side of the city centre (Broad Street area).
Some of the old buildings along the canal and canal basin were repurposed; new buildings were constructed in either brick or a ‘tasteful’ combination of brick and concrete (Brindley Place area).
A variety of eateries, drinkeries (?) and entertainment venues sprang up, plus some ’waterside’ domestic properties (priced for the likes of premier league footballers and their wags and/or ‘roasts’!😂).
Office blocks were also constructed from brick, at least one in a continental stylee (I think a nod to Brum having more canal mileage than Venice!) And of course the NIA sprang up.
Dare I say, all in time for a certain US president to visit!

Roll forward a few years and things seemed to slow down and the aforementioned architecture which had complimented the magnificent Centenary Square buildings dating back to the 1930s was rarely repeated.
(and who can forget ‘The Slug’ that burned down? (Was! burned down?🤣).
Instead, on the other side of the city centre someone came up with the idea that a load of hub caps, probably from 1960s Liverpool (no offence Scousers 😆) stuck to the outside of a multi story car park would ’compliment’ the nicely period-restored Moor St station next to it!?

I used to be based in the city centre and frequented the Christmas market from its first appearance, at one time two or three times a week for lunch or a late tea (northern tea time, not southern ‘dinner’ 😄) right up until around 2009. At one point the German market on the Chamberlain/Victoria Squares and New St side was complimented by stalls on the centenary square side by stalls selling traditional British fare but sadly it always seemed to be a bit of a half hearted affair.
There was always a good atmosphere there and we always had a good time and a lot of laughs, once at my expense when I went from stall to stall ordering food in my best ‘Hoch-Deutsch’, the responses to which had been quizzical looks and responses in English from the vendors and a lot piss taking from my colleagues!
Turned out that most of the staff on the stalls were East European! 😖

Have a good time 1Shot👍🏻

FB_IMG_1638442630321.jpg

:xmas-smilie: Myself my wife and my son are having a quite Christmas as I am looking after covid patients in ICU on Christmas day.

Just read this comment after a couple of days off here.

Mate, I don’t know you at all.

But what you and your colleagues, and others like you around the world are doing to selflessly put the well-being of others before yourself is extraordinary. That’s the true Christmas spirit, not the commercial bullshit that swamps the end of the western calendar year.

Thank you so much for your service. I wish you and your family the very best for Christmas, and hope some miracle occurs to give you a bit of time off with them as soon as possible.

Regards

Alan

Wendy and I are also in the mood Bill, this week we move into the new flat and best of all our chrissie present to ourselves, on Thursday we collect Maisie, a 12 week old very tiny black labrador puppy as a companion for Meg. She's a beautiful little but all pups are beautiful. Photo's to follow on Thursday

Joe,

Where’s Maisie? We need pics please. You just can’t announce you got a beautiful new pup, then hold out on the pics!

If you’ve posted in another thread I haven’t seen yet, apologies...

Alan

Back