• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

The first skill

Some of the skills we learn and adopt are well practiced/used and date back centuries.

In some respects it would be good to see some of the old methods and practices changed for the good of us all and the outdoors we enjoy and love.
Some outdoors enthusiasts still light fires on the ground rather than use a firepit or twig burner of sorts.
Always find it a little disappointing when I come across fire scars on the floor......and there are many..... :(
A fire-pit can be made or purchased very cheaply.

Then there is the call of nature....most of us moan about finding dog :poo: on the floor/tracks during our travels.
Many a time while in the woods you come across a pile of human :poo: and the tissue used..... left for all to stumble upon and no effort made to bury it.....normally in the most used and popular spots we like to frequent.

But why Bury it?.....we HOPEFULLY pick up after our dogs when we are out.....so why not pick up and take out after ourselves and dispose of at home.....it's not that difficult.

The Life In "The Wilderness Forum" are on top of this.....and have been for a few years now...... at organised meets and get togethers..... and ask members to bring along suitable compostable bags and some sawdust to manage waste.....which is normally burnt and leaves the sites clean with no trace.
Also request that fire-pits are used by all to save the forest floors and respect the land.

So there is a challenge for 2020......use a fire-pit.......and take your :poo: home:rofl::thumbsup:

If we adopted this as individuals we could all make a difference :thumbsup:

Amen :whistle::D

Yes, I agree Will.

Just learned about cat litter (wood and paper pellets versions) which can be used in a potty or a hobo stove. Will be experimenting with some for both this winter. As it should make handling deposits easier and give a nice burn.

:D Speaking of Firepits.......

I just found this on that well known marketplace:)

I remember there being some discussion about this some time ago, but can't find the thread. It's just the mesh square

Last edited:
Back onto the subject, I've always been facinated by maps and compasses so navigation.
I have spend hours looking at maps, it baffles me that there is people out there that aren't interested in looking at maps even just around the block or miles away.

Back