• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

General The Green Scythe Fair.

lonewolf

Slightly Obsessed
one for your diaries folks. we go every year.
Sunday 10th June 2018. 11am to 11pm.
Thorney Lakes camp site, Muchelney, near Langport, Somerset TA10 0DW.

With their attitude towards people bringing dogs I won't bother making the journey. If people are scared of dogs then its their own problem. I've never encountered that attitude at a fair from anyone other then the National Trust and they're just twats.

I have no idea what you are talking about!! its a working farm but plenty of people bring their dogs, in fact it says on the website " well behaved dogs on leads free". you must be confusing it with somewhere else. oh well! you'd be missing out, its a good "crack" as we say down here, plenty to see and we never leave without buying something, a book, some plants, leatherwork, I bought a cast iron stew pot one year.

I have no idea what you are talking about!! its a working farm but plenty of people bring their dogs, in fact it says on the website " well behaved dogs on leads free". you must be confusing it with somewhere else. oh well! you'd be missing out, its a good "crack" as we say down here, plenty to see and we never leave without buying something, a book, some plants, leatherwork, I bought a cast iron stew pot one year.

Not the impression that their website gave me...I got the distinct impression that they'd prefer we didn't bring dogs and I quote them directly,
*Dogs

The Green Scythe Fair venue is in a working farm, therefore we would prefer it if you didn’t bring your dog

Not the impression that their website gave me...I got the distinct impression that they'd prefer we didn't bring dogs and I quote them directly,
*Dogs

The Green Scythe Fair venue is in a working farm, therefore we would prefer it if you didn’t bring your dog
if you read a bit further it says if you want to bring your dog or dogs they must be kept on a lead and you must clear up after them.

Yup,I read that but it obvious that they're not welcome because if you read on a little further and put it in context

The Green Scythe Fair venue is in a working farm, therefore we would prefer it if you didn’t bring your dog.

Please bear in mind some children and adults are scared by dogs, so in a crowded fair this can spoil the day for those folks.

However, if you feel the need to bring your dog, it must be kept on a short lead at all times - this will be monitored by Green Fair staff. All dog waste must be picked up and please use biodegradable bags so it can be composted correctly. If not strictly adhered to you will be politely asked to leave with no redress.

Guide dogs, of course, are very welcome.

I do in fact keep my dogs under close control and pick up after them however the tone of the website does makes it obvious that dogs are not really welcome apart from guide dogs which cannot be legally excluded.

there are plenty of dogs in evidence at the fair, we go every year and they are very noticeable, as I have already said.
they could have said "NO DOGS" but they haven't. I think you are trying to make an issue out of this where none exists.
if you don't want to go then don't.
I put this event up every year and I can honestly say its a good day out.

I'm sure it is a great day out if you don't have some volunteer prod nose following you around "monitoring" you. If they truly welcomed dog owners their site should say so. Pet friendly destinations are a multi million pound industry in the UK, if a pub or hotel doesn't welcome my dogs I don't bother visiting and spend my money elsewhere instead...the same with game fairs and agri shows (although I've never had a problem at either)

the only volunteers are on the gate and in the car park, no one follows anyone around the site.(you make it sound like Soviet era Russia which it isn't)
the staff are all friendly and unobtrusive.
this event grew out of The Green Fair which was based around off grid living and environmental issues and these issues form the backbone of this event, for example "The Land is ours/chapter 7" is very evident as is "Tinkers Bubble" and many similar groups.
this is very much an "alternative" event as will be self evident from some of the exhibits.

I think we worked out the mileage back along and it was considerable.

The wife and I have family and friends down south. So it’s not totally out of the question. But it is for this year or next lol

Back