• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register
nobody is going to survive for very long post SHTF without being able to grow their own food and for that you need a supply of "heritage" seeds.

yes, I have saved seeds too but I also got a stock of seed packets when they were available, I reckon you cant have too many seeds.

this is something i need to start doing guys :thumbsup:

any pointers on where to start :rolleyes:
Well if you are already growing your own, just save the seeds by drying them in the sun for a while & then storing them in a suitable container. We use used vitamin containers. You can add the moisture absorber sachet from the pill container too to keep the seeds dry.
We get our seeds from "Diggers", but I am not sure if there is a supplier in the UK.
Keith.

If you don't know, some seeds seem to have a naturally short shelf life i.e. months if not weeks. I don't know which they are, and which you can keep for years. Perhaps an opportunity for someone with more knowledge than me to start a thread?

l'm bit late to this party but never mind.
lf, like me, you grow brassicas (cabbage family) you need to take care saving seed as they are ready to hybridise with other brassicas within, so l am told, quarter of a mile. To make sure your saved seed is true, only let one type of plant flower each year. Brassica seed is supposed to last for several years and this has been my experience. The year l planted all the purple sprouting broccoli because it was old seed, l ended up with 100 plants! There are only 2 of us so l learned my lesson there. lf your neighbours all grow brassicas aswell there's not really much you can do but even when we had near neighbours, hardly anyone else seemed to grow vegetables - that was for old men on allotments.

Growing crops and saving seeds is as old as man himself,and a very easy skill to learn - very easy.Remember though,its not enough to just buy a load of packets of seeds and expect them all to grow to abundance the day the shops shut.You have to be an active gardener.Gardening is an easy skill to learn,but over many years,and even the most experienced has failures.

Back