• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

The law on the private sale of air weapons.

Half cocked

Quite Addicted
I have been looking to add to my meager collection of air guns.
I have been scanning the well-known auction houses for that certain gun that tweaks my interest,
I found something that looked right up my street, a Logan S16 in 22. After a quick call to the auctioneer, they informed me that they would not send the gun by post or courier to a local FD so don't bother bidding, period.
This piddled me off no end.
What does the law say about an agent, say a member of our collective picking it up from an auction house in their
locality? How can the gun be shipped to me?

What does the law say about an agent, say a member of our collective picking it up from an auction house in their locality?
Strewth, there's a hippy amongst us... :eek: :D

AFAIK if an adult picks it up and delivers it into your hands, there's no problem. He might need to prove his and your ID to the auction house, and show a letter authorising him to pick it up.

Sounds like the auction house can't be arsed to deal with correctly delivering the stuff it sells, which is a bit odd. o_O

Strewth, there's a hippy amongst us... :eek: :D

AFAIK if an adult picks it up and delivers it into your hands, there's no problem. He might need to prove his and your ID to the auction house, and show a letter authorising him to pick it up.

Sounds like the auction house can't be arsed to deal with correctly delivering the stuff it sells, which is a bit odd. o_O
That's what I got from the tone of his reply. Maybe he can't be arsed to get another FD involved,
I was prepared to cover any costs incurred by the auction house.:mad: So frustrating.

That's what I got from the tone of his reply. Maybe he can't be arsed to get another FD involved,
I was prepared to cover any costs incurred by the auction house.:mad: So frustrating.
Sorry CH missed the start of the post and went straight to the auctioneer.
I was thinking more of the Borg
Star Trek Borg GIF

Attachments

• 200.gif
    200.gif
    512.5 KB · Views: 19
As its a business sale and not a private sale the title is a bit out of whack.
The auction house will be a Registered Firearms Dealer and as such cannot post guns out to the general public.
Most other RFD's will either be there to collect or have shipping already set up.
You could go and bid in person and take it away.
Private sale, person to person is still governed but largely unenforceable.

It may also be that the auction house isn’t in fact an RFD and isn’t actually allowed to sell air guns/firearms. I’ve encountered one recently selling a small collection of air guns who were not RFD. They may not want to draw attention to the fact that they’re operating illegally.

Back