• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

The Martindale Golok / Machete review.

lee

Slightly Obsessed
Ive owned a Martindale british army issue Golok for many years now, I've posted about on the forum but never posted up a full review on it. The martindale golok is a cross between a machete, parang and a kukri it was designed and made for issue to British armed forces. this new cross design large knife was developed so that the tool would be suited in all world wide environments from the jungle to Europen woodland and just about anywhere in between. In my opinion it is the best machete, parang and kukri I've ever used that's because it's taken the best from all three of them, forget machetes, parangs and kukris get the martindale. They are still available from as little as £20! I'm not sure that they are still current British armed forces issue so they won't be around for sale for ever. There are copies out there so make sure the one you get is date stamped as the one below is, mine arrived very rough and needed the blade sharpened, some light surface rust removed and the handle wasn't finished to my liking so I sanded it and sealed it with yacht varnish, I also added a landyard.

I needed to chop some wood for kindling and fuel for my fire box, it was a mix of logs and milled timber, the martindale comes into its own for chopping and slitting wood by battoning my 2x2 batton gave way about half way in lol. I very rarely use a hand axe now as the martindale will do everything and more that a hand axe can do without the possibility of failure by way of the axe head coming loss and coming off!

If the martindale or any knife gets stuck in a piece of wood halfway through buttoning due to a knot, drive a wooden wedge into the cut to free the blade ;)

As with the use of any cutting tool I recomend wearing thick protective gloves even 30* this knife will cut deep if you make a mistake, it will also save you from blisters in prolonged use.

Even after all the work the martingale done today it was still cutting paper afterwardos not through a whole page but still cutting never the less, however after a quick touch up with the metal rod and strop got it back to cutting cleanly through a whole page of paper ;)
hope you enjoy the review and pics :D

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

it is still on issue although there is also a revised jungle machete.

Yep that's the newer one one with the crocodile on the blade, a bit longer than the originals above, I think my one above is hard to find now I got mine in the late 1990's and its stamped 1993 :( but I highly recommend searching on line for my one above ;)

The crocodile was I think the martingale badge, there was some variation of blade length through production. The new new jungle machete looks completely different with a blade with a pronounced curve rather than the straight design of the original gollocks.

The crocodile was I think the martingale badge, there was some variation of blade length through production. The new new jungle machete looks completely different with a blade with a pronounced curve rather than the straight design of the original gollocks.

Thanks for updating the thread.

I went 'diffi' for one of the original Galok's in the 1970's, but I found the edge was to soft for normal knife use; but was perfect for hacking back vegetation when there are stones around as the blade just 'dings', but doesn't splinter off. Indeed I found the easiest way to sharpen it was to use a file as time with a 'stone was wasted after you used it for a few minutes, it needed touching up. The Galok was brought in as a replacement for the old 1950/60's 'Panga' with the leather sheath.

Good bits of kit........ and good post and pictures:thumbsup:

I do not tend to over sharpen mine either....just a light run over with a file does the job.

Well let's face it Lee.....you do not retain the same youthful looks as myself......so any damage would go un noticed once the bleeding stops:whistle::D

I must admit I wasn't too impressed with mine in Sweden, using it on wet and or frozen spruce and birch, it struggled, so much so that I ended up using a Mora to do the job.

Ummmm don't know what's happened there? I prefere my Martin dale over all the machetes I've ever had including very high priced ones from the top knife makers

You can only ask them, as for your country customs you will have to check your country laws re knives etc. . .

Bopdude & others, Don't forget that the forces nickname for the Golok (polite version) was "Treebeater"; as I understand it, after their first trip into the jungle squaddies used to buy the local pattern machete as soon as they could, generally it would hold an edge better. I think I was the only one I knew who also carried a file at the same time; and I never went anywhere near the jungle NW Europe only.

Brings back memories Bob......you are quite right.....in Belize we did exactly that....bought the local machete first chance we got.
Very good they were too....held a good edge...although we never went to the trouble of having them razor sharp as they did take a fair bit of stick...( Pun intended :rolleyes::D )
Some of them were quite ornate and the sheaths made from tooled leather....dont know how they made them for the price...cant remember now how much they were....but they were cheap to us:thumbsup:

When the 'new' Golok came in the old Panga's disappeared from the stores very fast; people took them out, then went 'deficient'.

Yes, I was young and naive then, not up to speed on tools (the right tool for the right job); so the opportunity went straight past me. We live and learn.

Ive owned a Martindale british army issue Golok for many years now, I've posted about on the forum but never posted up a full review on it. The martindale golok is a cross between a machete, parang and a kukri it was designed and made for issue to British armed forces. this new cross design large knife was developed so that the tool would be suited in all world wide environments from the jungle to Europen woodland and just about anywhere in between. In my opinion it is the best machete, parang and kukri I've ever used that's because it's taken the best from all three of them, forget machetes, parangs and kukris get the martindale. They are still available from as little as £20! I'm not sure that they are still current British armed forces issue so they won't be around for sale for ever. There are copies out there so make sure the one you get is date stamped as the one below is, mine arrived very rough and needed the blade sharpened, some light surface rust removed and the handle wasn't finished to my liking so I sanded it and sealed it with yacht varnish, I also added a landyard.

I needed to chop some wood for kindling and fuel for my fire box, it was a mix of logs and milled timber, the martindale comes into its own for chopping and slitting wood by battoning my 2x2 batton gave way about half way in lol. I very rarely use a hand axe now as the martindale will do everything and more that a hand axe can do without the possibility of failure by way of the axe head coming loss and coming off!

If the martindale or any knife gets stuck in a piece of wood halfway through buttoning due to a knot, drive a wooden wedge into the cut to free the blade ;)

As with the use of any cutting tool I recomend wearing thick protective gloves even 30* this knife will cut deep if you make a mistake, it will also save you from blisters in prolonged use.

Even after all the work the martingale done today it was still cutting paper afterwardos not through a whole page but still cutting never the less, however after a quick touch up with the metal rod and strop got it back to cutting cleanly through a whole page of paper ;)
hope you enjoy the review and pics :D

View attachment 7313
View attachment 7314
View attachment 7315
View attachment 7316
View attachment 7317
View attachment 7318
View attachment 7319
View attachment 7325

Nice review m8 you've just sealed the deal am getting one:thumbsup:

Back