• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Keith

Very Addicted
Well I haven't quite finished the new berry patch yet, I still have the wires to install for the berries to climb on, but I cut two poles out of the copse today, debarked them both & used them as braces on top of the berry patch posts.
Manure Pile 7 Berry Patch 002 REDUCED.jpg
Berry Patch REDUCED.jpg

As you can see the mushroom compost & manure has been spread, the patch has been boxed to keep the weeds & grass down, some mulch has been added but we ran out, & two berries have been planted. One Young berry & one Boysenberry. We will be making more mulch on the weekend.

Garden after hail storm 002 REDUCED.jpg
Garden after hail storm 003 REDUCED.jpg
Garden after hail storm 010 REDUCED.jpg
Garden after hail storm 011 REDUCED.jpg
Garden after hail storm 006 REDUCED.jpg
Garden after hail storm 007 REDUCED.jpg
Garden after hail storm 008 REDUCED.jpg
Garden after hail storm 009 REDUCED.jpg

The whole garden was shredded by the hail storm on Xmas day. The pumpkins had only just started getting some size on & they were badly damaged. The marrows were shot full of holes so we have been eating a lot of marrow to save what we could. The silverbeet was no good for anything but chook feed it was so damaged, as were all the brasicas. But as you can see, one month later it is coming back again. The corn still looks pretty tatty but it survived. Fingers crossed we get more pumpkins before the season changes.
Keith.

It's odd looking at a garden in full growth while I'm still planning mine. Just winter greens and root veg in our garden.
Yes, I remember our garden in West Sussex, the same. Always got us through though.

We have got to plow a new garden bed ready for our winter greens Mike, just waiting on a part for the tractor. Silverbeet usually lasts us right through winter, & of course the Jerusalem Artichokes are there all year round. Part of me wants winter to get a move on, I love the winter, but right now we also need the warmer weather for a while so we can catch up!
Thank you for commenting Mike:thumbsup:
Regards, Keith.

We are downsizing soon we will still have a garden just not as big. Only two of us at home now and I'm prepping for older age and infirmiity while I can still manage the bigger jobs.
With a bit of careful planning and one or two changes in what and how we grow we will do OK.
Good luck with the garden extension.

Its great to see a productive garden when everything here is wet and cold. I'm planning my planting for this spring and it makes spring seems closer.

Lot of work put into that Keith :thumbsup:

Glad your making progress after the hail storm :thumbsup:

I'm at the stage where I have all the seeds and stuff ready to go but can't yet because it's too wet & cold.

Very, very wet here - you can see the water flowing down our neighbour's (across the valley) fields. No snow though. l really need to get the apples pruned but l think l might not get back but be sucked into the mud.

WE have snow, then rain, then more snow, then much more rain. The mud is awful. The raised beds are ok because they are up out of the mud and the poly tunnel is ok, but the sheep and the ponies need webbed feet and soon will need snorkles.

I'm at the stage where I have all the seeds and stuff ready to go but can't yet because it's too wet & cold.
My seeds are spread out on the dining table just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit before l start planting them and putting them on the windowsill. The cat complains as he likes lying there.

Back