• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

The Oscars

Bam

Extremely Addicted
Is it just me or are The Oscars a lot of bollox. A bunch of narcissists telling us how we should live our lives while gushing over each other. I genuinely have no idea why these awards are such a big thing or why we give these largely ignorant chimps a platform. Its not like we wait with baited breath to see who the heating engineer of the year and what they have to say about their preferred cause.

Interestingly and bearing in mind we have severe storm warnings and corona virus 🦠 piers Morgan on ITV ‘s breakfast show had decided to go to the Oscars , flying business class and no doubt staying here n posh hotel , our nepotistic celebrity culture is all upside down .

No Bam, it's not just you that thinks the Oscars (or any other self congratulatory public display) is distasteful. Rob, I also completely agree that sending some 'C' list celebs around the world to cover it for our domestic media is wasteful, the upside is that Piers Morgan might contract corona virus on his travels and be forced into isolation for a fortnight.

It's developing nicely into an annual freak show...Who can wear the most outrageous outfit, make the most simpering speech or become a campaigning political hero supporting the latest fashionable cause.
Desperate people.....Lookatmee's, one and all...:lol:

Always makes me laugh, world class actors reading out speeches. And we're supposed to believe they are sincere :)

Sadly I think they are sincere, they're that far up themselves they think their utterances should be treated like the word of God. I suppose some of them have spent more time at school that Greta who seems to now be a world renowned expert on climate change. :rofl:

When these egotistic nitwits are ready to give up their multimillion dollar lifestyle to fund all this philanthropy and work for the same wage as me, I might take them seriously. Then again, maybe not. So no, you're not the only one, Bam.

I’m on two minds, watching celebs spout off about a good cause makes me think put your money where your mouth is however the nature of modern society means a celeb preaching gets More coverage than a scientist so they CAN get people to listen which must surely be a good thing....

There are also celebs who don’t spout off but do large amounts for charity and good causes; denzil Washington being my favourite.

Now don’t get me talking about aggressive tax avoiders like Gary barlow asking me to dig deep for charity......

Reactions: Bam
Another one here who sees the whole film or music award thing a complete waste. It could be argued that the only thing that should count is how many bums a film puts on seats even though some pretty dire films in my opinion seem to be popular.
I don't like Piers Morgan as a person but sometimes he comes out with some truths. I saw him mention about how all the food served is now vegan and some celebs are wearing clothes they have before while at the same time using private jets and limos. Then there's the goodie bags over $100,000

Reactions: Bam
I’m on two minds, watching celebs spout off about a good cause makes me think put your money where your mouth is however the nature of modern society means a celeb preaching gets More coverage than a scientist so they CAN get people to listen which must surely be a good thing....

There are also celebs who don’t spout off but do large amounts for charity and good causes; denzil Washington being my favourite.

Now don’t get me talking about aggressive tax avoiders like Gary barlow asking me to dig deep for charity......

Denzil is a 'top boi', doesn't seem to take himself that seriously but doesn't seem to feel the need to be an 'everyman' either. Does more good films that bad ones too.

As for their causes, well, I think Ricky Jervais had the right of it when he told them not to use the platform to spout their guff as they didn't have a clue. I say that as someone who agrees that we need to do something about climate change, opposed to racism etc. I resent some half educated phuqnugget trying to preach when its not even in context. If you go to a Billy Bragg concert you know what you're getting, if you go to see Westlife (I know, I know) you'd be pissed off if they started telling you which way to vote.

Back