• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

The PhotoStick Omni

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
A few years ago I had a computer hard drive fry on me and I lost a lot of content as well as treasured family and friends / holiday photos etc.

My queen treasures the pictures and videos stored on her phone......mainly family and Grandchildren/hollidays....... but is understandably worried about loosing it or having it stolen.....and everything on it...... never to be seen again.

We are definitely not tech savvy people..... so I was looking for something to buy her for her peace of mind....... relatively easy to use.
Came across the "PhotoStick Omni".............read a bit about it and watched a few you tube vids.
Looks like this will do the job nicely......so I have ordered her a 256GB version.

Thought I would share this here for anyone else who maybe interested in such a device....... and shares the same concerns..... and just wants an easy life with no subscription charges.

It’s gut wrenching when that happens 👎👎

Think I will get a couple of these also , good shot billy’o 😁👍🏻

If you do backups to any USB device, put it in a safe place afterwards, e.g. an actual safe in the house. Don't stick it in your pocket like one of the images on the link suggests. It's a guaranteed way to end up with a snapped USB stick or one that ends up going through the washing machine. :)

@G1ZmO

Good point Paul.....the washing machine is good for cleaning up your files apparently....but you should only use a Hoover....using a Candy causes the files to stick.....and Indiset is hard to get at.....🤭🤭🤭

A few years ago I had a computer hard drive fry on me and I lost a lot of content as well as treasured family and friends / holiday photos etc.

My queen treasures the pictures and videos stored on her phone......mainly family and Grandchildren/hollidays....... but is understandably worried about loosing it or having it stolen.....and everything on it...... never to be seen again.

We are definitely not tech savvy people..... so I was looking for something to buy her for her peace of mind....... relatively easy to use.
Came across the "PhotoStick Omni".............read a bit about it and watched a few you tube vids.
Looks like this will do the job nicely......so I have ordered her a 256GB version.

Thought I would share this here for anyone else who maybe interested in such a device....... and shares the same concerns..... and just wants an easy life with no subscription charges.

I read this with my sceptical computer engineer's head on. The most important sentence in the whole article is: "If you’re not tech savvy and need a straightforward solution to back up your memories, ThePhotoStick Omni is the last resource you need" (Most of the rest of the article being salesman's BS). The operative words in that sentence being 'not tech savvy'. Meaning that if you are tech savvy this is a waste of time and money - however! If you are not tech savvy it looks like a handy bit of kit - because.... I like the inbuilt app and the universal connector, very useful if you cannot transfer a file from your phone to your PC and then to your back-up device. Off-line back-up devices have been around for ages but I have never seen one that is, in effect, a dedicated pen drive. For you, Bill, and your dear lady, this could be exactly what you need. It seems to fit the bill perfectly. My only minor reservation is that technology moves on very fast in this field, so anything that is automated can very easily be left behind. For example, you have to tell it which file types you'd like to back-up, fine - but what if a new file type comes along that it doesn't know about? If the support is good and they upgrade the app you won't have a problem.

These days we tend to have duplicates of important files, external drive, USB sticks, burned discs, phones, iPad, Mac and PC. Lots of copies made by syncing devices. I don’t rely on the cloud as it’s beyond my control although my iPad also backs up to the cloud (it’s almost impossible to prevent it with new apple software)

Thanks for the input everyone.....I appreciate it :thumbsup:

Fingers crossed @Paul N they will update/improve the app as time moves on.......looking at the number of sales of this gadget.......you would like to think it will encourage them to keep updating......but then nothing is forever as you say mate.

The stick arrived late afternoon yesterday......talk about cutting it fine :D

Just need to get it washed and dried ready for the big day now :xmas-biggrin:

Have you had the chance to play about with it yet billy’o? What’s the thoughts?

Back