• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

The price of steel.

Gulfalan67

Very Addicted
Hi folks,

Not sure this the right thread for this. It could also be under 'homesteading'.

As some may know my wife and I do lots of building to improve infrastructure and facilities at home. We've been building for years. Its the never ending homebuild project!!!! 😫

Anyway, due to this I'm constantly buying steel members, sheeting and fixtures ( everything we build is made from steel).

And in the last month or so have noticed the price of steel shooting up. Not sure if any of you blokes buy steel in your trades or projects but just flagging this because I'm guessing within a couple of months this price increase will have trickled down to a range of consumer goods...

I guess this is somehow related to what is happening in China and impacts of COVID, but lots of steel materials are now out of stock, like supply is reducing...

Its a worrying trend. Good environmentally I guess, but from a consumer perspective not so much...

Cheers

Alan

Over here it’s due to fuel costs bet steel RSJ used to retail at approximately £10 per kilo, it’s now more like £16 (Dec2021) through Dyfed steel which is our biggest supplier locally.

This has been going on here in the U.K. for several years and has recently got worse.

One of my sons who lays concrete bases commented on the price of rebar going up to the point where they advise customers to pay up front for the bar to be purchased well in advance of the job being done.

Only on Friday I went to buy a sheet of 3mm ali for a project on my Disco to find that a sheet which I had paid about 40 quid for 3 years ago was now the best part of 100!

And it’s not just the price that’s an issue - the quality of some of the steel I’ve used recently is defo poorer, I can tell as I drill and file it. And man does it rust!

I use timber more than steel and that's shot up to prices that make it frankly embarrassing to quote and also impossible to give long lasting quotes as suppliers won't guarantee the price will stay for any longer than a fortnight. I have a friend who buys steel in small quantities for various fabrications and work for another guy who's a developer and buys rsj's and the like . They both complained about rising costs and none of us can honestly see prices dropping any time soon if at all.

Materials are all going up in price and there's nothing we can do about it if we want to do the jobs we need them for, same as fuel prices, services and everything else. :(

I do know that diesel is over £1.57.9 here if you can get it. Both local fuel stations were dry last night so I had to drive up to the expensive one at Llandrindod to fuel up.

I do know that diesel is over £1.57.9 here if you can get it. Both local fuel stations were dry last night so I had to drive up to the expensive one at Llandrindod to fuel up.

Another few weeks it may reach £2 a ltr Mike.....IF we can get it. :rolleyes:
Heating oil...liquid gas will no doubt follow.

This has been going on here in the U.K. for several years and has recently got worse.

One of my sons who lays concrete bases commented on the price of rebar going up to the point where they advise customers to pay up front for the bar to be purchased well in advance of the job being done.

Only on Friday I went to buy a sheet of 3mm ali for a project on my Disco to find that a sheet which I had paid about 40 quid for 3 years ago was now the best part of 100!

And it’s not just the price that’s an issue - the quality of some of the steel I’ve used recently is defo poorer, I can tell as I drill and file it. And man does it rust!
Can't you get reclaimed RSJ's from scrapyards?

Thank F*** I got rid of my Pajero with its 92 litre tank:(

If my Berlingo had a 92 litre tank I'd only need to fill it once a year :rofl: What gets me is fuel prices go up straight away even though the tanks are still full of fuel from when the crude was cheaper but they don't come back down till people start being cautious with their money :mad: I went past Tesco the other day and7 of their 9 pumps were covered up out of fuel.

If my Berlingo had a 92 litre tank I'd only need to fill it once a year :rofl: What gets me is fuel prices go up straight away even though the tanks are still full of fuel from when the crude was cheaper but they don't come back down till people start being cautious with their money :mad: I went past Tesco the other day and7 of their 9 pumps were covered up out of fuel.
Morning Pete, as I see it things are going to get a lot worse over the next few months:(

Back