• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

The price of Steel

Gulfalan67

Very Addicted
Mornin' folks.

Yesterday I went to town to fetch some more tin sheeting I needed for a build.

I went to the dump shop in Darwin. I guess you have the same in UK. Here in Territory it's awash with building supplies, some unused. I left with 60m square of corrugated steel loaded on the roof of the LandRover.

Some was a bit scrappy, some had been drilled, and some sections were rusty but that's ok for my purpose. i paid $115 the lot, that's ÂŁ65 in Pommie coin. So about a pound per metre. Not bad really.

However the true price of the steel was my poor lacerated hands, loading the stuff having forgotten my gloves. Cuts all over from the rusty sheets and hands red with blood. Also, ( and these things may not be connected) but today a new looking front tyre on the LandRover shredded itself. At highway speed. Did I get a rusty nail or fragment in there yesterday at the dump?

So perhaps the dump wasn't such a big saving after all...🤔

Alan

Last edited:
Good...... and not so good result Alan.....poor luck with tyre mate.:rolleyes:
It will be worth it when the build is finished and the sheets are up :thumbsup:

Mornin' folks.

Yesterday I went to town to fetch some more tin sheeting I needed for a build.

I went to the dump shop in Darwin. I guess you have the same in UK. Here in Territory it's awash with building supplies, some unused. I left with 60m square of corrugated steel loaded on the roof of the LandRover.

Some was a bit scrappy, some had been drilled, and some sections were rusty but that's ok for my purpose. i paid $115 the lot, that's ÂŁ65 in Pommie coin. So about a pound per metre. Not bad really.

However the true price of the steel was my poor lacerated hands, loading the stuff having forgotten my gloves. Cuts all over from the rusty sheets and hands red with blood. Also, ( and these things may not be connected) but today a new looking front tyre on the LandRover shredded itself. At highway speed. Did I get a rusty nail or fragment in there yesterday at the dump?

So perhaps the dump wasn't such a big saving after all...🤔

Alan
It’s often the way of it, I like working with new corrugated steel as it’s much easier to slide about and get it straight but I’ve found the quality of the old stuff is often far better. Bad news about the tyre shredding.

Back