• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Scotland The Quest to Aviemore FEB 2nd -9th 2019

@Matt Did someone actually say "no open fires" in that area? Just wondering if we could have one on the sand and sit around it rather than having several small folding BBQs going.

@G1ZmO being in the national park we are aloud open fires mate BUT as responsible bushcrafters/wild camper,s i think its good practice to use a fire pit every time and lets face it its a responsible way to have a fire and saves leaving fire scares on the land :hp-beer:

Last edited:
Some really good advice there Matt but not easy to find your way around. For instance I followed the wild camping guide link and found nothing about camping. All bits on mountaineering and walking. Great that they are allowing/supporting wild camping.

You're right. Scotland's Outdoor Access Code (which covers national parks also) states:

"Wherever possible, use a stove rather than light an open fire. If you do wish to light an open fire, keep it small, under control, and supervised - fires that get out of control can cause major damage, for which you might be liable. Never light an open fire during prolonged dry periods or in areas such as forests, woods, farmland or on peaty ground or near to buildings or in cultural heritage sites where damage can be easily caused. Heed all advice at times of high risk. Remove all traces of an open fire before you leave."

We're going at a very low fire risk time of year and I reckon they'd be ok with one controlled fire on a bed of rocks/sand as long as it's properly cleared away and doesn't cause a hazard. (Or a brazier as you've said. Good plan. 👍)

Just from a personal perspective I feel that its good to have a central place to congregate. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
the idea of taking the brazier is so that we dont go through to much fire wood as i find an open/on the floor fire uses far to much wood .... especially as we will have to carry/buy wood and coal for burning :)... i will be using the brazier but if you want a fire on the beach thats your choice mate :).. thats assuming you can get to the beach ;)

The weather is proper balmy at the moment.
Temperatures are up and down.................. all over the place.
:(

Very cold with spots of snow rain also hail lol it’s all happening up here....a think we are going to be lucky lads 👍

Back