• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Scotland The Quest to Aviemore FEB 2nd -9th 2019

Will have a bash at both 👍 wasn’t expecting the depth of the snow in the second video....just shows how effective the snow shoes was

@Ark79

Hi Mark.

I think the plastic pipe ones are a sensible size.....not too big....... to become clumsy?
The two shoes could be used for snow scrapes and a makeshift table too?
The ones made from natural materials are O.K. and would maybe get you out of a situation........but the others would be far more reliable I reckon.

Look forward to seeing your build if you do have a go at them 👍:xmas-cool:

Hello bill and a good morning :D

It would be a handy skill to learn mate....the pipe shoes are a good project for me and the little lad:D but again it’s on the back burner till I get my shed up and running...lot of work next year 👎 still I mite give the other pair a go at the meet :xmas-biggrin:

As good as it would be to make your own pvc shoes, I for one wouldn't like to put my faith in them, those para cord bindings will be frozen solid if they get wet, no fun to try and undo with gloves or without, cable ties and plastic at sub zero temps again, I wouldn't like to put my trust in them, if you want to make them fine but go with an inner tube binding, I'll dig the video out, no hands needed to get on or off, all that said and done, the parts alone will probably set you back more than a set of Bear Paws of the bay ?

Only my thoughts, take with a pinch of salt :)

EDIT: I thought they made there own, maybe a video on that somewhere but you get the drift :)

EDIT EDIT: lots of choices

Last edited:
Hi Al.

All good points mate.....thanks for the feedback 👍
The use of inner tube bindings is a good idea.....less faffing around in the cold/wet.

Exactly, that in itself is a blessing if you're putting shoes on and off, the next pair of Bear Paws I buy for the Sweden 2020 trip I'm going to adapt with inner tube bindings.

I have searched high and low to find information and stories.......pictures of other people's experiences of wild camping at Fisherman's Bay area........l have not managed to find much.

Anyone else had any joy?

same here mate :whistle:..wont be long and there will be plenty about fishermans bay on the web ,,,6 weeks guys

Last edited:
Morning Matt :)

Glad it is not just me then :D
Yes......there will be plenty on there soon.
Roll on middle to end of January so we can get a better appreciation of the conditions.

There are a few photos on the Google Map here but not many. https://goo.gl/maps/L1ngioM7WSo

Back