• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

The reduced bit in the super market

Medwayman

Quite Addicted
why not
P1310176.JPG
P1310177.JPG

As it was my first attempt at cooking with an open fire (BBQ's with charcoal does not count, i used wood only for this i) I did learn quite a lot. I need a lot more wind protection bigger, higher and they need to be nearer, a mud and stone mini wall might go round it at some point. My spit-roasts are too high so need to drop down a bit and some stones around the base on a any wood stakes for protection from heat as the small one with the sausages on one actually burnt out in the end, my pot hanger with the small leg of lamb on was OK but still not 100% finished yet am waiting for a hanging pot and you need 3 times more wood than i thought but i suppose this is what learning in a controlled condition is all about will be trying again at some point.

The lamb was ok in the end maybe a bit dry as it took alot longer than i thought to cook sausages were fine but that is down to the quality of the meat not the fire

As it was my first attempt at cooking with an open fire (BBQ's with charcoal does not count, i used wood only for this i) I did learn quite a lot. I need a lot more wind protection bigger, higher and they need to be nearer, a mud and stone mini wall might go round it at some point. My spit-roasts are too high so need to drop down a bit and some stones around the base on a any wood stakes for protection from heat as the small one with the sausages on one actually burnt out in the end, my pot hanger with the small leg of lamb on was OK but still not 100% finished yet am waiting for a hanging pot and you need 3 times more wood than i thought but i suppose this is what learning in a controlled condition is all about will be trying again at some point.

The lamb was ok in the end maybe a bit dry as it took alot longer than i thought to cook sausages were fine but that is down to the quality of the meat not the fire
It's a trial and error mate but it'll come good in the end. Personally I would have wrapped the lamb in a couple of layers of bacofoil with some thyme,rosemary and a couple of crushed garlic cloves

It's a trial and error mate but it'll come good in the end. Personally I would have wrapped the lamb in a couple of layers of bacofoil with some thyme,rosemary and a couple of crushed garlic cloves
I very nearly did, will do next time

Back