• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

The right to privacy or Justice

Med, you've lost me now, I really don't know what the webcam murder has to do with passwords, I'll read the link again later on.

While i agree with most points my big problem is that the police do NOT need a search warrant to do so , they request passwords you say yes/no if you say no then yo can be charged, do we not "police by consent" in this country!, consent has been refused but still be charged. To do a search on your premises they need a warrant this would include your paper mail.

Also some computers and sites use biometric logins (fingerprint, eye retina) and they can "force" you to unlock devices

Maybe not but they can't just stop you in the street and demand you hand over your passwords either. You'd need to be under investigation for something. I'll say it again, I'd have no problem with the Five-oh swinging through my online history, assuming there was a reason to do so, if they were investigating Ark79 for some shady stuff (I can't be the only one thinking it :lol: ) and wanted to see if he'd sent me some phots 'sans budgie smugglers' then they could crack on*. I'm more worried about the dead hookers under the patio anyway.....

giphy.gif

*Sorry Mark, you look great in the phots, don't let the naysayers get to you.

I'd not be a Police Officer...never. Under staffed, poor pay, every 'weekend lawyer' having a pop at them, Joe Public giving jip on social media and there is SFA they can do about it... they can't do right; tell the truth I feel sorry for them.

I'd not be a Police Officer...never. Under staffed, poor pay, every 'weekend lawyer' having a pop at them, Joe Public giving jip on social media and there is SFA they can do about it... they can't do right; tell the truth I feel sorry for them.
I would say that there are good and bad police, some are highly competent and fair minded while others are lazy and vindictive...sometimes even a good police officer can have a bad day....most of my family were police, either from cadet college or after being in the military, I've seen the police warts an all for most of my life.
Putting a lot of power in the hands of a lazy or vindictive bully is a recipe for disaster as they can twist the facts to fit a prejudiced theory as has been seen in the recent collapsed cases where the police were found to have withheld digital evidence that would have exonerated the defendant.
The system is far from perfect but its all we have.

I would say that there are good and bad police, some are highly competent and fair minded while others are lazy and vindictive...sometimes even a good police officer can have a bad day....most of my family were police, either from cadet college or after being in the military, I've seen the police warts an all for most of my life.
Putting a lot of power in the hands of a lazy or vindictive bully is a recipe for disaster as they can twist the facts to fit a prejudiced theory as has been seen in the recent collapsed cases where the police were found to have withheld digital evidence that would have exonerated the defendant.
The system is far from perfect but its all we have.

I can attest to laziness in the police force
I’ve been Watching police procedures unfold for the last 7 weeks. Apparently it’s not a crime if the police say it’s not and I quote “ it’s his word against his” striking a child hard enough that he falls to his knees in pain is dismissed because an officer can’t be bothered to do his/her job. 3 accounts of violence is dismissed because an officer can’t do his/her job.

Kind of how I feel, known a few coppers over the years and I take my hat off to them for their restraint.

Yes there are bad ones, same as anything and things like the cover up over the Brazilian guy getting shot are worrying but (not making excuses) we have cover ups in the NHS (dodgy blood from the 80's), organisations can do it if there's enough pressure.

The problem is that its always the lazy, incompetent or vindictive ones that make the news or stick in the memory...not the thousands of small services that take place each day to keep most of us safe and honest.

The problem is that its always the lazy, incompetent or vindictive ones that make the news or stick in the memory...not the thousands of small services that take place each day to keep most of us safe and honest.

Ain't that the way, people are much better at remembering perceived slights than the perceived favours (that somehow we take for granted).

They do have a thankless job and they definitely have my respect. But only the people doing the job .And to be fair I would agree that there’s far more good than bad.

True words there, we only hear about the bad police, the bad nurses/doctors, the bad teachers, bad nursing homes etc Many people are like vultures feeding on shite.

On that happy note I'm off to watch a couple of episodes of Knightfall, glass of wine and some cheese and pickles :)

Reactions: Bam
Kind of how I feel, known a few coppers over the years and I take my hat off to them for their restraint.

Yes there are bad ones, same as anything and things like the cover up over the Brazilian guy getting shot are worrying but (not making excuses) we have cover ups in the NHS (dodgy blood from the 80's), organisations can do it if there's enough pressure.

I’d be interested to know in what way it was a cover up. Having been briefed on it thoroughly when looked at rules of engagement for suspected suicide bombers the issue was a mistake of misidentification of the unfortunate individual as a suspected suicide bomber on route to deploying his device. From that moment on the policy was always to use absolute lethal force as anything else further endangers life. The two policemen who fired the shots seemed to lack faith in the system to back them and said they shouted a warning when they didn’t (nor were they required to) but they were under an enormous amount of stress and could have genuinely believed that a warning had been given.

Ian Blair should not have been claiming the glory so quickly but there was no cover up.

Last edited:
I’d be interested to know in what way it was a cover up. Having been briefed on it thoroughly when looked at rules of engagement for suspected suicide bombers the issue was a mistake of misidentification of the unfortunate individual as a suspected suicide bomber on route to deploying his device. From that moment on the policy was always to use absolute lethal force as anything else further endangers life. The two policemen who fired the shots seemed to lack faith in the system to back them and said they shouted a warning when they didn’t (not were they required to) but they were under an enormous amount of stress and could have genuinely believed that a warning had been given.

Ian Blair should not have been claiming the glory so quickly but there was no cover up.

Sorry but when either the individuals or the organisation start getting a bit selective about what happened then it's going to lead to accusations of a cover up. I have every sympathy with the officers involved, I've spoken out about ROE's in the past to people with a lot of gold on their shoulders and how guys were guilty until proven innocent. I'm just not comfortable with organisations like the police or NHS or government's being free and easy with stuff like this.
If you prefer I can give other examples, the mass rewriting of statements after Hillsborough being another one.

Hills borough is a completely different matter.

The metropolitan police made no attempt to cover up de Menzies shooting; the officers who pulled the trigger said in court they shouted a warning when witnesses said they didn’t. They may have beloved that they had shouted the warning; they may have thought that they were supposed to shout a warning ( which in the circumstances they were not required to do) but they were acting st a degree of stress that few of us will ever experience, the court found that they had acted correctly on the information given to them.

Allocate blame to a mistake in intelligence (which happens) or to sit Ian Blair trying to big his force up to soon after a confusing and complex incident (which shouldn’t happen) but it wasn’t a cover up.

Hills borough is a completely different matter.

The metropolitan police made no attempt to cover up de Menzies shooting; the officers who pulled the trigger said in court they shouted a warning when witnesses said they didn’t. They may have beloved that they had shouted the warning; they may have thought that they were supposed to shout a warning ( which in the circumstances they were not required to do) but they were acting st a degree of stress that few of us will ever experience, the court found that they had acted correctly on the information given to them.

Allocate blame to a mistake in intelligence (which happens) or to sit Ian Blair trying to big his force up to soon after a confusing and complex incident (which shouldn’t happen) but it wasn’t a cover up.

Not how I recall it at the time.

Society is terminally ill IMHO, going down the crapper, and faster now we Boris at the helm and Brexit will finish off the little remaining industry we have left in the UK, things can only get worse for the Police and society in general :)

This image is doing the rounds on forums, I think its apt and sadly true

Attachments

• TRUMP AND BORIS.JPG
    TRUMP AND BORIS.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 168
Society is terminally ill IMHO, going down the crapper, and faster now we Boris at the helm and Brexit will finish off the little remaining industry we have left in the UK, things can only get worse for the Police and society in general :)

This image is doing the rounds on forums, I think its apt and sadly true

As someone who isn't exactly happy with either, its worth bearing in mind they'll not be around forever.

Back