• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

The start of something

Ark79

Site Manager
Staff member
IMG_3072.JPG

Got some metal. High carbon tool steel 5mm thick.. The idea is to build a Bowie knife for my older cousin. Not sure if I will be doing a video or just step by step pictures but a will keep you's all updated. Can't wait to start :D

Or a camp knife Mark, its a big enough piece of steel

Should be able to get 2 knifes from it joe. He hunts joe so a nice skinnier will go down a treat. And he has exceptionally large hands. Just asked him to measure his palms so a know the size of handle to make. There almost 5 inches across :eek:

Should be able to get 2 knifes from it joe. He hunts joe so a nice skinnier will go down a treat. And he has exceptionally large hands. Just asked him to measure his palms so a know the size of handle to make. There almost 5 inches across :eek:
Big old lumps then

Hi, Mark.

Nice bit of steel mate......look forward to following this thread :thumbsup:
Have you designed any shapes yet?

Managed to get some time to start the knife. After some pleading of course :cool:

Trying to do it professionally this time round:D

Sketched it out and cut the rough shape with a grinder
IMG_3098.JPG

IMG_3099.JPG

IMG_3100.JPG

IMG_3101.JPG

IMG_3102.JPG

IMG_3103.JPG

Looking good, will you have to harden the blade mark?

Looking good, will you have to harden the blade mark?

Cheers Lee:thumbsup:

Yeah mate a will harden it on my BBQ with the wife's hairdryer :D... first a will shape it all then drill the holes and dry fit everything snugly and make sure everything is go to go then al harden it and polish it all up :thumbsup:

When you look at it in the pictures it can be easy to forget or not realise how much work goes into a project like this.

Looking very good Mark :thumbsup:

Back