• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

The Vegetable Patch 2019

We have a half decent green house that we grow a few tomato’s and chillies in and we usually have some runner beans growing up the trellis that forms the fence between our front and back garden. Other than that we have a couple of patches of rhubarb and herbs as well as occasionally peas and onions growing in a couple of old concrete cattle troughs. I’m tempted to have a go at a few raised beds (possibly by repurposing some tractor tyres?) simply because although we’re blessed with about 1/3 of an acre of garden it’s pretty hard and stony (the soil also seems to contain a lot of broken glass) and my back doesn’t take kindly to a lot of digging and bending at the best of times. The only problem is the kids seem to have claimed the back garden which means I’d have to put them in the front which has a lot of tree cover and hence not a lot of light despite being south facing 🤔 I’ll have to keep thinking about it for now :)

Two birds with one stone :D

Kids can have the back Garden so long as they grow something each. Give them there own section :D

We have a half decent green house that we grow a few tomato’s and chillies in and we usually have some runner beans growing up the trellis that forms the fence between our front and back garden. Other than that we have a couple of patches of rhubarb and herbs as well as occasionally peas and onions growing in a couple of old concrete cattle troughs. I’m tempted to have a go at a few raised beds (possibly by repurposing some tractor tyres?) simply because although we’re blessed with about 1/3 of an acre of garden it’s pretty hard and stony (the soil also seems to contain a lot of broken glass) and my back doesn’t take kindly to a lot of digging and bending at the best of times. The only problem is the kids seem to have claimed the back garden which means I’d have to put them in the front which has a lot of tree cover and hence not a lot of light despite being south facing 🤔 I’ll have to keep thinking about it for now :)
Old tractor tyres are ideal Bionic, what I would recommend is packing the inside of the tyre with straw before adding the topsoil because it will stay nice and warm then broadcast sow the seed instead of growing in rows. Another idea is to mix radish seed with carrot seed, this means you get a catch crop of raddish and reduce the amount of thinning required

Reactions: Bam
A bit of work on the veg for a few days should get everything planted, 48 Gourmandine's planted over 4 different planters

Was up at the new allotment on saturday cracking on with the rest of the infrastructure, she's got a few beds in now so ready to plant onions and carrots soon and tatties to follow. I'll get some pics next time I'm up.

Was up at the new allotment on saturday cracking on with the rest of the infrastructure, she's got a few beds in now so ready to plant onions and carrots soon and tatties to follow. I'll get some pics next time I'm up.
Little tip Bam, always put your onions shallots and garlic in in late autumn

Sturon onions sets are what she's putting in, she says its fine. To be fair she's pretty good at it all, been doing it for a fair while now.
Where we are now apparently carrots are a problem so she's got her heart set on being the Queen of Carrots. :lol: Keeps her off my back anyway.

Sturon onions sets are what she's putting in, she says its fine. To be fair she's pretty good at it all, been doing it for a fair while now.
Where we are now apparently carrots are a problem so she's got her heart set on being the Queen of Carrots. :lol: Keeps her off my back anyway.
well it saves your back

A good days work does reap the rewards, lots of peas going in this year ,have so much veg in the freezer next years crop might not be needed.

W
ill be doing a test with the pic with the red and white tape. 9 Gourmadine potatoes have been planted there (leftovers) and they will not get any help form me, no feeding , no water, nothing, I do have a planter with also 9 in from the same seed potatoes, will the crop yield be different??

A good days work does reap the rewards, lots of peas going in this year ,have so much veg in the freezer next years crop might not be needed.

WView attachment 16592View attachment 16593View attachment 16594View attachment 16595View attachment 16596ill be doing a test with the pic with the red and white tape. 9 Gourmadine potatoes have been planted there (leftovers) and they will not get any help form me, no feeding , no water, nothing, I do have a planter with also 9 in from the same seed potatoes, will the crop yield be different??
It will be interesting to see the result

planted around 100 peas and it look it will get into the 90's for a crop which i am happy with( next doors cat keeps digging around ggrrr) , Asparagus looks nice and healthy and 14 out of 14 for the first potatoes coming through, the last 2 planters to sort out today with a beer or 2(6)

Attachments

• P1310166.JPG
    P1310166.JPG
    460.4 KB · Views: 111
  • P1310167.JPG
    P1310167.JPG
    289.3 KB · Views: 105
  • P1310169.JPG
    P1310169.JPG
    308.5 KB · Views: 110
  • P1310170.JPG
    P1310170.JPG
    507.9 KB · Views: 117
  • P1310171.JPG
    P1310171.JPG
    467.5 KB · Views: 113
  • P1310172.JPG
    P1310172.JPG
    420.3 KB · Views: 106
  • ScreenShot_20190421100645.png
    ScreenShot_20190421100645.png
    102.9 KB · Views: 108
planted around 100 peas and it look it will get into the 90's for a crop which i am happy with( next doors cat keeps digging around ggrrr) , Asparagus looks nice and healthy and 14 out of 14 for the first potatoes coming through, the last 2 planters to sort out today with a beer or 2(6)
Its all looking good Med 👍

story so far
18 sweet corn plants planted
5 rows 1st earlies 14 to the row
12 savoy cabbage
12 cauliflowers
5 cucumbers
10 tomatoe plants. 5 moneymaker 5 cherry
40 shallots and 10 garlic planted last autumn
Tomorrows tasks
plant sweed, rainbow beet ,ordinary beet, spinach and peas
Prepare ground for brocolli sprouts and kale