• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

The Wilderness Living Challenge - The Wooded Beardsman

Very interesting video and I think for the most part he's on the money but imo he's inaccurate in using how many pounds per day someone loses as a gauge of their success. If someone is overweight and goes and lives in the field for some time then in all likelihood they will have that weight flow off of them. I know from my own experience I can go out for 2-3 weeks and be eating a full diet while I'm out and the excess pours off me until I get to about 11st7 and then I doesn't alter much after that as long as I'm eating fully. That weight varies a little depending on muscle composition at the time. When I was bigger it was nearer 12st that I levelled out at. I'm 6'1. If someone has the excess they will shed it. If they don't they won't. Even if they are in taking a normal diet as their base level of activity has probably increased. I've seen it first hand many times. Now obviously what he's saying is that the people who lost lots of weight were worse at supplying their own food and I'd say that's probably broadly true but what he's not taking into account is that starting figure baseline, a bigger body needs more fuel and so will lose more weight quickly. Add to that the variation in people's metabolism's and you've got another factor in the equation. So as a direct comparison it's flawed.

I agree with him that people in the shows and YouTube channels etc who claim to be living off the land are simply enduring starvation. Especially when you factor in that you need to actually have the appropriate intake of vitamins and minerals etc. Essential amino acids are called essential for a reason. So it's not just that they can eat x many pounds of cat tails or parsnips. You need fat and meat (or sibstitute for vegany types) to get those. Hence I believe where rabbit starvation comes from. They're too lean so you can eat them all you want but you will lack some of the essentials and become malnourished. What I find interesting is to consider how much time our distant hunter gather ancestors must have spent solely on acquiring food. I suppose that's why most primitive settlements grew up around shorelines due to their abundance of various plentiful food sources.

Think I'll watch some more of his videos though as I suspect the man knows his onions when it comes to living in the wilderness.

I wonder how much autocorrect gibberish I've managed in this lengthy nonsense I've just typed.

Thanks for the reply. No-Autocorrect nonsense there that I can see WolfsHead :)

From an inexperienced novice point of view it looks to me like he knows his stuff.
It'd be interesting to see someone in the UK trying a similar thing.

I don't doubt for a second he knows his stuff and I certainly my agree with the majority of what he's saying I just think that using weight loss as an indicator of success is a poor comparison. But the majority of the points in the video were very interesting. Worth having watched for that alone.

Back