• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Thermometer gadget?

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
Does anyone have an electronic gadget that measures upper and lower temperatures over a 24 hour period?
Was considering getting something like this since it's hard to estimate what the temp gets down to overnight unless you get up to check the thermometer.

im sure there is a smart phone app out there to do the job :)
There may be but not suitable for a few reasons.
  1. My phone doesn't detect temperature
  2. I need to keep my phone warm close to my body or the battery dies.
  3. I don't want to rely on a local weather forecast. I'd rather know the temp at my actual location
Yea, I looked at that one Mark but it doesn't keep a record of the previous temps, just the current one.
Also it uses AAA alkaline batteries which are rubbish in cold weather. It'd really need to be lithium batteries.

There may be but not suitable for a few reasons.
  1. My phone doesn't detect temperature
  2. I need to keep my phone warm close to my body or the battery dies.
  3. I don't want to rely on a local weather forecast. I'd rather know the temp at my actual location
Yea, I looked at that one Mark but it doesn't keep a record of the previous temps, just the current one.
Also it uses AAA alkaline batteries which are rubbish in cold weather. It'd really need to be lithium batteries.

Ah no worries Paul đź‘Ť

Well I bought a cheapo one just to take along with us on Sunday
Seems to work so far and records high and low limits.

Well I left it outside overnight and it displayed -4C this morning and a low of -6C overnight
Our local 'Weather Underground' station about a mile away recorded a low of -9C overnight but I suppose my garden might be more sheltered from the cold breeze.
I'm satisfied that it's accurate enough for my purposes though.

Proper job Paul.

I thought I would try one of the app downloads ...... Seems pretty good to within +/- a few degrees over the past week.

Think I will rely more on the colour of @WildWood1965 skin though :D

Yea, but an app depends on either the distance from a local weather station or the ability of your phone to record such data plus the phone would need to be kept charged.
We could invent a colour chart for @WildWood1965 skin vs temperature though and that should be reliable going forward :)

You just hang a little shell of a tea light under the nose and count the amount of water which dropped into it.
That's called a Nosimeter and it works very well.

Yea, but an app depends on either the distance from a local weather station or the ability of your phone to record such data plus the phone would need to be kept charged.
We could invent a colour chart for @WildWood1965 skin vs temperature though and that should be reliable going forward :)

I think with the antenna mast it should be fine Paul :whistle::D

Back